Man Charged in Puna Murder Has Suspicious Ties to Murder in Oregon

Police have charged a 48 year-old Mountain View man in connection to a murder that occurred earlier this year in Puna.

Walter Boyd Bremmer

This afternoon (October 5, 2012) at 5:00 pm, after conferring with prosecutors, detectives from the Area I, Criminal Investigation Section charged Walter Boyd Bremmer with second degree murder, first degree burglary and use of a firearm in commission of a separate felony. He is held without bail and remains in the police cellblock. Bremmer is scheduled to make his initial court appearance on Monday, October 8, 2012.

Mick Fleetwood poses for a picture with Bremmer (Photo courtesy of Kealoha Ward)

On January 28, 2012, the body of 52 year-old Robert John Leong was found at a residence in the Eden Roc Subdivision. An autopsy conducted determined that the victim died from a combination of ligature strangulation and a brain injury from a gunshot wound.

Police continue to ask that anyone with information on this investigation to call Detective Ernest Matsumoto at 961-2379 or email him at or Detective Derek Morimoto at 961-2380 or email him at Callers may also call the police non emergency line at 935-3311.

Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous may call Crime Stoppers at 961-8300 in Hilo or 329-8181 in Kona and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000. Crime Stoppers is a volunteer program run by ordinary citizens who want to keep their community safe. Crime Stoppers doesn’t record calls or subscribe to caller ID. All Crime Stoppers information is kept confidential.

And this is how he’s tied into the Oregon murder a few years ago:

“…But on Monday, during an interview Oregon State Police detectives, Bremmer changed his story, recounting for police his eye witness account of a brutal slaying.

According to an affidavit, Bremmer said he returned from a night of drinking on July 5 to find Rieman fighting with Adkins in the pilot house of the “Tiger.”

“He said that he saw Rieman punching John in the face and then saw Rieman grab John and smash his head through the window on the portside of the boat …,” Officer Casey Meling wrote. Bremmer told investigators he saw Rieman punch Adkins several more times, then throw him down the stairs into the galley.

When Bremmer boarded the boat, Adkins was on the floor and Rieman was beating him. Bremmer told police Adkins said “something to the effect of Erin’s going to kill me.” At that point, Rieman grabbed an extension cord and wrapped it around Adkins’ neck twice, pulling on it until Adkins died, Bremmer said.

“Bremmer told us that, once John was dead, Erin Rieman took the approximately $5,000 cash that John has brought along for the trip from a book that John had kept it in,” Meling said. “Bremmer said Rieman threatened to kill him and his girlfriend as well if he did not help him.”

Rieman wrapped Adkins’ body in a sleeping bag and made Bremmer help clean up the blood in the pilot house, Bremmer said. The next day, the pair pretended to look for Adkins around the Port of Ilwaco, then boated from port the next day. As they headed toward Garibaldi, Rieman piloted the boat about three miles from shore, then 4 1/2 hours into the trip, told Bremmer to take the wheel.

“Bremmer went to the pilothouse and watched as Rieman removed John’s body from the engine compartment, tied two large cylindrical fishing weights to the sleeping bag using a thin metal cord, and then threw John’s body into the ocean.”

Adkins body has not been found.”

Full Article here:  Missing Albany man was beaten to death, dumped at sea, says OSP

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I do this to keep the spammers away * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.