On Wednesday, March 8 a coalition of individuals and organizations focused on improving the East Hawaii economy will hold a community meeting to discuss legislative efforts that will guide in the revitalization of Hilo and Banyan Drive. We have invited the entire East Hawaii caucus to join us, it is a Recess day for the Legislature so this gives them the best chance during session to visit with us.
The public is invited to attend and hear from coalition representatives and area legislators on the various, proposed economic development measures that have been introduced this legislative session (see full list below). The measures are aimed at providing much-needed tools and mechanisms to attract investment and foster partnerships that will help revitalize the local economy while promoting a healthy environment where East Hawaii families can thrive.
- When: Wednesday, March 8, 2017
- Time: 5:00pm to 6:30pm
- Location: Grand Naniloa Hotel
The coalition thanks the hard working East Hawaii Caucus that introduced the bills:
Representative Mark Nakashima
Representative Richard Onishi
Representative Joy San Buenaventura
Representative Christopher Todd
Senator Lorraine Inouye
Senator Kaialii Kahele
Senator Russell Ruderman
List of 2017 29th Legislature bills promoting East Hawaii’s economic interests introduced by members of the East Hawaii caucus:
- HB 575 / SB 274 – Authorizes the Board of Land and Natural Resources to extend state land leases when the lessee makes qualifying substantial improvements to leased public lands. Download HB 575, SB 274.
Current Status-HB575 has passed WAL and FIN amended and will crossover
- HB 1310 / SB 1184 – Establishes the Waiakea Peninsula Redevelopment District, Planning Committee, and Revolving Fund. Download HB 1310, SB 1184.
Current Status- HB1310 has passed TOU/WAL, and FIN and will crossover
- HB 1469 / SB 1185 – Establishes procedures for designating public land redevelopment districts, planning committees (including powers and duties), district redevelopment plans, and designated revolving funds. Modifies public land lease restrictions. Download HB 1469, SB 1185.
Current Status- HB1469 has passed TOU/WAL, and FIN amended and will crossover
- HB 1479 / SB 1292 – Establishes the Hilo community economic district and places it under the jurisdiction of the Hawaii Community Development Authority. Establishes a revolving economic development fund and designates a percentage to be transferred to the special land and development fund under the Department of Land and Natural Resources. Download HB 1479, SB 1292.
Current Status-Both bills have passed through committees and will crossover SB1292 has been amended