I blogged earlier about how much I have a distaste for people that allow their dogs to roam free w/out fenced in yards. My wife has a permanent scar on her face from being attacked by a dog on her own street.
It is people that “Tethered” their dog by keeping them tied up most of the time that mauled my wife.
People… if you have a dog on your property… please get a fence and keep them fenced in. Why tie your dog up all the time?
The Senate Committee on Water and Land will be holding a public hearing on “tethering” animals this Friday at 3:00 PM in the capital conference room 229.
RELATING TO ANIMALS.
Animal Welfare; Tethering
Prohibits, with exceptions, the practice of tethering dogs.
SECTION 2. Chapter 711, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding a new section to be appropriately designated and to read as follows:
“§711- Dog tethering. (a) It shall be unlawful to tether, fasten, chain, tie, or restrain a dog, or cause a dog to be tethered, fastened, chained, tied, or restrained, to a dog house, tree, fence, or any other stationary object.
(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), a person may:
(1) Attach a dog to a running line, pulley, or trolley system, so long as the dog is not tethered to the running line, pulley, or trolley system by means of a choke collar or pinch collar;
(2) Tether, fasten, chain, tie, or otherwise restrain a dog pursuant to the requirements of a camping or recreational area;
(3) Tether, fasten, chain, or tie a dog no longer than is necessary for the person to complete a temporary task that requires the dog to be restrained for a reasonable period;
(4) Tether, fasten, chain, or tie a dog while engaged in, or actively training for, an activity that is conducted pursuant to a valid license issued by the State of Hawaii if the activity for which the license is issued is associated with the use or presence of the dog; or
(5) Tether, fasten, chain, or tie a dog while actively engaged in any of the following:
(A) Conduct that is directly related to the business of shepherding or herding cattle or livestock; or
(B) Conduct that is directly related to the business of cultivating agricultural products, if the restraint is reasonably necessary for the safety of the dog.
Full detail of bill here.
Filed under: Community, Idiots, Legal, Legislature, Security | Tagged: Community, Dogs, Idiots, Legal, Legislature, Security, Tethering | Leave a comment »