Quilting in Hawaii may be a dream come true for some of the 21 million American quilters who use the internet, their GPS or quilt shop locator apps to plan sightseeing trips around local quilt shops. On the Big Island, there’s an easier way to satisfy quilt cravings, thanks to the 5th Annual Quilt Shop Hop, taking place February 1-23, 2013.
Eight different quilt shops island-wide are included in the Shop Hop circuit, each with their own personality and style—from the sunny resort area of Kailua-Kona, to lush tropics of Volcano and Pahala, charming Hilo town, and the green rolling hills of Waimea. Along the way, shop-hoppers can have their “passport” stamped, to be eligible for prize drawings, and pick up a unique quilt block pattern to create their own 2013 Shop Hop quilt.
The 2013 Shop Hop quilt theme features the unique flora and fauna of Hawaii, with bright tropical flowers, everyone’s favorite honu (sea turtle), dolphins, Nene goose, and the native I’iwi bird. The quilt block patterns are free, or available for purchase with fabric as a kit.
This year’s event also includes a new, custom “Big Island” fabric, designed by Shop Hop organizer Mary Moody Cox, available only from participating shops on the circuit. The vivid aloha-style 100% cotton print is covered with colorful island images from the mountains to the sea: waterfalls, volcano, birds, flowers, plants, petroglyphs, dolphins and more.
Maps and passports can be picked up at each location, and “shop-hoppers” can start their tour at any of the venues along the route, or sign up for a scheduled bus tour. (See details below.) The first bus trip, February 2, visits “paniolo country” for the 20th Annual Waimea Cherry Blossom Heritage Festival, and the Hawaiian Quilt Show presented by Ka Hui Kapa Apana O Waimea.
- Kona to Waimea (Cherry Blossom Festival and Hawaiian Quilt Show): Saturday, February 2 – contact Karen Barry at Quilt Passions, 329-7475.
- Pahala to Hilo: Thursday February 7 – contact Donna at Pahala Quilting 808-238-0505.
- Pahala to Waimea & Kona: Tuesday, February 12 – contact Donna at Pahala Quilting 808-238-0505.
- Kona to Hilo: Saturday, February 9 – contact Karen Barry at Quilt Passions, 329-7475.
- Hilo to Kona: Saturday, February 16 – contact Mary Moody-Cox at Kilauea Kreations II, 808-961-1100.
Shop Hop circuit:
- Pahala Quilting and Creative Sewing Center, 96-3196 Maile St., Pahala, HI 96777. (808) 238-0505 www.PahalaQuilting.com
- Kilauea Kreations I, 19-3972 Volcano Rd., Volcano, HI 96785. (808) 967-8090 www.KilaueaKreations.com
- Kilauea Kreations II, 680 Manono St., Hilo, Hi 96720. (808) 961-1100 www.KilaueaKreations.com
- The Fabric Workshop, 1348 Kilauea Ave., Hilo, HI 96720. (808) 933-1010
- Fabric Impressions, 206 Kamehameha Avenue, Hilo, HI 96720-2835. (808) 961-4468
- Topstitch, New location in Waimea Center: 65-1158 Mamalahoa Highway, Kamuela, HI. (808) 885-4482, www.facebook.com/TopstitchHawaii
- The Fabric Gift Shop, 74-5599 Luhia St., D-5, Kailua Kona HI 96740. (808) 329-8177
- Quilt Passions and Needlework Shop, 75-5626 Kuakini Hwy., Kailua-Kona, HI 96740. (808) 329-7475, www.QuiltPassions.net