Hawaiʻi Island police have arrested a 28-year-old Puna woman in connection with a drug-related explosion that sent a man to the hospital with severe injuries.
Savannah Maloof of Keaʻau was arrested Monday afternoon (December 30) on suspicion of first-degree promotion of marijuana, second-degree promotion of marijuana, first-degree promotion of a harmful drug, promotion of a detrimental drug and four counts of possession of drug paraphernalia. She was taken to the Hilo police cellblock while detectives from the Area I Vice Section continue the investigation.
At 8:16 p.m. Saturday (December 28), police responded to a report of a loud explosion at a home on 17th Street in the Hawaiian Paradise Park subdivision in Puna. When officers arrived, Fire Department personnel were already at the scene, where smoke was present but not flames.
The blast had knocked out windows, melted plumbing fixtures and blown the doors off cabinets.
The sole occupant at the time, a 30-year-old Keaʻau man, was initially taken to the Hawaiian Paradise Park fire station by private vehicle. He was then taken by ambulance to Hilo Medical Center with third-degree burns. He was later transferred to a hospital on Oahu.
Maloof, who also lives at the house, was not home at the time of the explosion.
Police recovered 102 marijuana plants from an indoor growing operation, more than an ounce of butane honey oil (a marijuana byproduct) in several stages of manufacture, three e-cigarettes and components associated with the manufacture of butane honey oil.
Police ask anyone with information about any butane honey oil lab to call the Police Department’s non-emergency line at 935-3311.
Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous may call Crime Stoppers at 961-8300 in Hilo or 329-8181 in Kona and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000. Crime Stoppers is a volunteer program run by ordinary citizens who want to keep their community safe. Crime Stoppers doesn’t record calls or subscribe to caller ID. All Crime Stoppers information is kept confidential.
- Drug Lab Explodes in Puna Sending Man to Hospital (damontucker.com)