Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) today released the names and photos of her nominations to the U.S. Military Service Academies for classes entering Summer 2017. After an exhaustive application and interview process, she nominated twenty-two students from across Hawaii’s Second Congressional District. Their applications are now being considered for final selection by the United States Military Academy at West Point, the United States Naval Academy, and the United States Air Force Academy.
“Across Hawaiʻi, high school seniors will soon begin gearing up for graduation, summer plans, and either beginning college, serving in our military, or entering the work force. A select few will be enrolling in one of the U.S. Military Service Academies, and I’ve had the privilege and great responsibility of nominating twenty-two phenomenal applicants to represent our Aloha State in service to our country. I wish each of these nominees the very best in the final weeks of the selection process and in their promising futures,” said Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard.
The nomination application period opens May 15th of each year for candidates who are high school juniors and will be seniors the following school year, or who have already graduated. Nomination does not guarantee an appointment. The honor of attending a Military Service Academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. More information about the nominations process is available here.
The following students from Hawaii’s Second Congressional District were nominated by Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard to the corresponding military academy / academies below (photo available for download by clicking the nominee’s name).
HAWAIʻI ISLAND RESIDENTS
- Mr. Lawrence Barrett – Air Force Academy, Military Academy Konawaena High School
- Mr. Ragan Leslie – Naval Academy Konawaena High School
- Ms. Anh-Thu Pham – Naval Academy Lake Braddock (Virginia)
- Ms. Jennifer Serrano-Gervais – Military Academy, Naval Academy Hilo High School
- Mr. Kainalu Gandia – Military Academy Kapa’a High School (Class of 2016)
- Mr. Devon Hartsell – Military Academy Waimea High School
- Ms. Maia Alexis Young – Air Force Academy Waimea High School (Class of 2016)
- Mr. Trendon Delray – Air Force Academy Maui High School
- Mr. Caleb Soo Hoo – Air Force Academy Baldwin High School
- Mr. Harlie Stone – Air Force Academy, Military Academy, Naval Academy Haleakala Waldorf
- Ms. Keeanna Andres – Naval Academy Kamehameha School
- Mr. Nicholas Balabis – Military Academy, Naval Academy Kalaheo High School
- Ms. Cagla Brennan – Military Academy ʻIolani High School
- Mr. Anthony Corey – Military Academy Kalaheo High School
- Mr. Farrel Ekau – Air Force Academy Kamehameha School
- Mr. Cheyne Fergusson – Air Force Academy, Naval Academy Waialua High School
- Mr. Kainoa Gnos – Air Force Academy Le Jardin Academy
- Mr. Christopher Jenkins – Air Force Academy, Military Academy Kamehameha School
- Mr. Michael Mossman – Naval Academy Christian Education Institute (Class of 2016)
- Mr. Sergei Scharer – Air Force Academy Saint Louis High School (Class of 2016)
- Mr. Peyton Sommer – Military Academy, Naval Academy Punahou School
- Ms. Fely Vacek – Naval Academy Kapolei High School
Filed under: Announcements, Education, Hawaii, Kids, Military, Security, State Affairs, Tulsi Gabbard | Tagged: Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, United States Air Force Academy, United States Military Academy at West Point, United States Naval Academy | Leave a comment »