Aloha UH Hilo Administrators,
We have attended and/or watched the Youtube video on the so called ‘UHHSA Senate meeting’ in Campus Center last Friday May 9th where Campus Center Director Ellen Kusano announced the unofficial election results.
We have many questions we would like to address to UH Hilo:
1) Ellen Kusano sent out an email saying:
Please come to an UHHSA Senate meeting tonight, in Campus Center, 2nd floor lobby at 5:30pm.
1a) how could there be an “UHHSA Senate Meeting” when the new UHHSA was supposed to take office on May 1, 2014?
1b) was this an official UHHSA Senate meeting?
2) We were told by Dr. Oaks in an email (see #2 below) that: Only myself, Mr. Walker, and possibly Interim VC Makuakane-Lundin will have access to the votes. The access we have in VCSA does not allow us to change anything only to view. I will be responsible for communicating the results.
2a) Why were the ‘new election’ unofficial election results communicated by Campus Center Director Ellen Kusano?
2b) Wasn’t the director of student affairs responsible for the UHHSA ‘new election’ process?
2c) We communicated to UH Hilo our concerns of having Ellen Kusano, after the numerous complaints of her mishandling of the first 2014 UHHSA election, involved in the ‘new election.’ Why was she involved in the process?
2d) Why wasn’t Kelly Oaks or Gail Makuakane-Lundin present when the ‘new election’ unofficial election results were read?
3) on the UH Hilo website “www.hilo.hawaii.edu/vote as of 7:17pm Friday, May 10th that ‘results will be announced by the Dean of Students’
3a) again, why were the results announced by Campus Center Ellen Kusano?
4) UH Hilo students have yet to receive any information about the 1st UHHSA election vote counting process. Many of us have sent in complaints and questions as to the handling of the 1st election by Ellen Kusano and the UHHSA Election Committee. There has been no response other than the election was ‘nullified.’ Mrs. Kusano said prior to releasing the results said that:
There were 417 ballots cast in the first election, 141 invalid ballots (1:45 on youtube video)
She also referenced “We don’t have the number of Senator at Large votes but it was more that it was in the first election.” (video 5:05)
Will there be an investigation into the botched election handling?
UH Hilo students have yet to receive any information about the 1st UHHSA election. Many of us have sent in complaints and questions as to the handling of the 1st election by Ellen Kusano and the UHHSA Election Committee. There has been no response other than the election was ‘nullified.’
4b)Since it is evident that Ellen Kusano and likely that other former election officials have handled the original ballots, we demand that the original ballot results be released to the public; and our previous list of questions regarding the handling of the original ballots be answered.
5) Ellen Kusano referenced that she will be suggesting that an interim senate come together while the election complaint hearings are being conducted over the next 2 weeks.
5a) Will Mrs. Kusano be acting as faculty adviser once again for UHHSA?
6) We would like to request all available information as to how the 2nd electronic UHHSA election was conducted.
6a) What program was used?
6b) Is there a paper trail?
6c) What security measures were utilized?
6d) How can we be assured no questionable activity on behalf of UH Hilo administrators was taking place similar to the first UHHSA election?
We feel like we have been discriminated against and treated unfairly by Ellen Kusano, the UHHSA Election Committee, and UH Hilo. We, again, request an investigation into the handling of the first botched election process and for the results of that election. We respectfully request that Campus Center Ellen Kusano not be involved in the organization or structure of UHHSA due to her mishandling of the last election.
Mahalo for addressing our concerns,
These students have filed an ethics complaint against the UH Hilo Election Committee.
Glenn Aanstoos Ryu Kakazu
Josh Boranian Chantelle Mashreghy
Jarod Campbell Ardena Saarinen
Filed under: Announcements, Big Island, Education, Guest Commentator, Hawaii, Politics, UH Hilo | Tagged: UH Hilo Student Elections | Leave a comment »