8 Injured in Pepe’ekeo Apartment Complex Fire

8 people were injured and taken to the Hilo Medical Center after a fire caused by unattended cooking damaged an apartment complex in Pepe’ekeo:

Location: Kauhale’olu Apt, J Building, Kumula St, Pepe’ekeo, HI 96783

Situation Found at Scene: 2 story, 4 apartment building of type 5 construction, upper floors fully involved. Additional apartment building threatened. All occupants confirmed out of building. 8 total patients treated and transported to Hilo Medical Center.

Cause: Per Prevention 1, fire was unintentional, caused by unattended cooking.

Remarks: Fire suppressed with multiple hand lines and master stream device. Fire fought from exterior until conditions were tenable for entry. Upon entry, primary search and suppression took place using thermal imager. Power lines to building were down, breaker shut down as a precaution. Building with severe fire and water damage. HFD assisted lower apartment occupants with salvage of personal items. Red Cross and building representative assisting displaced occupants. Fire cause determination as above.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I do this to keep the spammers away * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.