The Drug Awareness Program of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks (BPOE) is dedicated to preventing the use of illicit drugs by the youth of our country as well as informing them of the dangers caused by the use of legal drugs such as alcohol and tobacco. As part of the program, Hilo Elks Lodge is inviting east Hawaii youth to send in their submissions to the Drug Awareness Poster, Essay, and Video contests.
POSTER CONTEST RULES:
- All students in the 3rd to 5th grades are eligible to participate.
- Poster size is 8.5” x 11”. Posters should be grammatically correct.
- Use of copyrighted characters on the poster, except Elroy the Elk, is prohibited. All entries will become the property of BPOE.
- Posters are judged based on the theme, originality, neatness, grammar, and without copyrighted characters (except Elroy).
- Judging goes through local lodge (Hilo), district (Hawaii State), and state (California-Hawaii) levels. State winning poster will be submitted for entry into the National Elks contest and for inclusion in the Elks Drug Awareness Program Coloring Book.
ESSAY CONTEST RULES:
- All students in the 6th, 7th, & 8th grades are eligible to participate.
- Essays are to be 250 words or less and typed, computer generated text, hand written or hand printed on 8.5” x 11” paper.
- Each Essay must be in a single file folder.
- Essays are judged based on closeness to the theme, neatness, originality, and correct grammatical structure.
- Judging will go through local lodge (Hilo), district (Hawaii State), and state (California-Hawaii) levels.
VIDEO CONTEST RULES:
- Individual or group entries from pre-high school, high school, and post graduate are welcome.
- Videos should be 2 minutes to 5 minutes long on a flash drive or similar “mobile” media in readable format.
- Videos should be based on this year’s theme “Just Say No” and have an anti-abuse message or making the right choice (e.g. anti-bullying, etc.)
- Videos should not depict any copyrighted characters or Trademarks with the exception of “Elroy the Elk”.
- All video entries will become the property of BPOE.
Judging will be based on closeness to the theme, neatness, originality, age and language appropriateness, positive message, and quality of video.
SUMISSION DEADLINE TO HILO ELKS: MONDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2016. POSTMARK OR MAIL DROP ON OR BEFORE DEADLINE TO 150 KINOOLE STREET, HILO, HI 96720.
If selected, submitter will be contacted to fill out consent and waiver forms.
There will be 19 district winners of $100 each. State winners include one 3rd place of $300, one 2nd place of $400, and one 1st place of $500.
For more information, please contact the Hilo Elks Lodge at 935-1717 or email email@example.com.