Now is an ideal time to learn more about the State law-making process. There’s enough time to let legislators know what you’d like them to focus on when session begins in January. And it’s a great time to pick up tips on how to add your views when things get rolling.
To help, the Legislature’s Public Access Room (PAR) is offering office hours and a free legislative workshop, “Your Voice,” at numerous locations on the Big Island.
Topics include understanding the legislative process, deadlines, and power dynamics, as well as tips and techniques on effective lobbying, testifying, and communicating with Senators and Representatives. “How-To” guides, informational handouts, and other resources will be available.
Prior to each presentation, there will be an “office hour” for those who want to drop in to pick up information or ask questions. The one-hour “Your Voice” workshop will follow at the times noted below.
- Kailua-Kona – Wed., Oct. 12, 6:00 p.m., West Hawai’i Civic Center, Community Hale; 74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Highway
- Waimea – Thu. Oct. 13, 6:00 p.m., Thelma Parker Memorial Library; 67-1209 Mamalahoa Hwy
- Volcano – Mon. Oct. 17, 12:00 noon, Volcano Arts Center; 19-4074 Old Volcano Road
- Ocean View – Mon. Oct. 17, 6:00 p.m., Ocean View Community Center; 92-8924 Leilani Circle
- Hilo – Tue. Oct. 18, 6:00 p.m., Hilo Public Library; 300 Waianuenue Ave
- Honokaa – Wed. Oct. 19, 6:00 p.m., North Hawaii Educational Resource Center (NHERC) 45-539 Plumeria Street, Computer Lab
- Pahoa – Thu. Oct. 20, 6:00 p.m., Pahoa Community Center; Kauhale Street
While registration for the free workshops is encouraged, drop-ins are always welcome. To register, get additional information, or ask about additional workshops during this annual visit, contact PAR ─ 808/587-0478 (toll free from the Big Island= 974-4000, x 7-0478) or firstname.lastname@example.org.