The people of Hawaii are invited to pay their final respects to Hawaii Congressman and longtime State Legislator Mark Takai.
On Thursday, Aug. 18, Takai will lie in state from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the State Capitol Rotunda. A short program will begin at 10 a.m. Public viewing will begin after the program for members of the public and family and friends to pay their respects.
A book of condolence will be available for the public to sign at the ceremony.
We expect a large crowd and encourage motorists to carpool or use public transportation. There will be no public parking at the State Capitol, but the public can park at the following locations.
- Lot G, 115 Punchbowl Street (Kalanimoku Building), enter from Beretania or Punchbowl streets
- Lot L, 1250 Punchbowl Street (Kinau Hale), enter from Punchbowl Street, makai-bound only
- Lot D, 465 S. King Street, enter from King or Punchbowl streets
- City Civic Center, located a Alapai and Beretania streets
- Alii Place, 1099 Alakea Street
- Handicap parking will be available at Lot F, 364 S. King Street (Iolani Palace). Enter from King Street, the driveway between Iolani Palace and the Hawaii State Library.
Olelo Community Media will cablecast the event live on Channel 49 and it will be live streamed at www.youtube.com/user/olelocm .
On Friday, August 19, a Memorial Service will be held at the First Presbyterian Church of Honolulu at Koolau, 45-550 Kionaole Road in Kaneohe.
Visitation will begin at 9 a.m. and the service at 11 a.m.
In keeping with the late Congressman’s tradition of celebrating Aloha Friday, the family requests participants to dress in Aloha attire.
Overflow parking at Hawaii Pacific University, Hawaii Loa Campus, 45-045 Kamehameha Highway. Shuttle service will be provided.