The Shops at Mauna Lani presented nine students with cash scholarships and prizes in its first annual Student Photography Competition on Saturday, April 30, 2016. From 80 total entries, winning photos were selected based on technical excellence, composition, artistic merit, creative excellence, overall vitality, impact and more.
In First Place, Taylor Mabuni, Grade 11 at Makua Lani Christian Academy, won a $500 cash scholarship for his work, showing artistic eye and technical expertise in expressing The Shops’ architectural features and inviting ambiance. Jordan Vedelli, Grade 8 at Parker School, Second Place ($300), captured the fun and vitality of a family dinner at Monstera Noodles & Sushi restaurant. Third Place ($200) went to Priscilla Lange, Grade 8 at West Hawaii Explorations Academy, whose winning photo spotlighted the weekly hula and fire dance performance.
Special category awards went to:
- Thomas Scott, Grade 10 at American School Distance Learning Program, Technical Excellence
- Lily Kassis, Grade 6 at Hawaii Preparatory Academy, Composition Excellence
- Eima Kozakai, Grade 9 at Kealakehe High School, Artistic Excellence
- Orlando Corrado, Grade 9 at Kealakehe High School, Creative Excellence
- Sammi Goldberg, Grade 11 at West Hawaii Explorations Academy, Overall Vitality
- Nuuhiwa Beatty, Grade 6 at Makua Lani Academy, Overall Impact
“We were thrilled with the quantity, and the quality of all the photos,” said Michael Oh, General Manager. “These young photographers exceeded our expectations in every way. We are delighted to honor them, and wish them much success in their career. And, we are already looking forward to our next Student Photography Contest.”