Gov. David Ige announced the names of the newly selected members of the Governor’s Team on ESSA – Every Student Succeeds Act. The team will work to develop a blue print for Hawai‘i’s public schools that is consistent with ESSA and will maximize opportunities and possibilities for Hawai‘i to transform education.
The team was selected by Gov. Ige based on recommendations and applications, including one recommendation each from Senate President Ronald Kouchi and House Speaker Joe Souki.
“Our goal was to get a good cross-section of stakeholders with diverse backgrounds and experiences. The work of the ESSA team will be an inclusive process that will involve town meetings and a summit to allow all to participate,” said Gov. Ige.
Gov. Ige appointed Darrel Galera as chairman of the ESSA team earlier this month.
Here is a complete list of members:
- Philip Bossert – Community member, Director of Strategic & International Program, HAIS
- Catherine Caine – Elementary School Teacher, Waikīkī Elementary
- Kamana‘opono Crabbe – CEO – Office of Hawaiian Affairs
- Darrel Galera – Chariperson, Executive Director, Education Institute of Hawai‘i
- Keith Hayashi – Principal, Waipahu High School
- Michelle Kidani – State Senator, Chair of Senate Education Committee
- Brennan Lee – Student, State Student council
- Ann Mahi – DOE – Complex Area Superintendent Waianae/Nanakuli
- Hubert Minn – Member, Board of Education
- Lauren Moriguchi – Executive Director, Office of Early Learning
- Steve Nakasato – Principal, Pearl Ridge Elementary School
- Alan Oshima – President, CEO Hawaiian Electric Co.
- Catherine Payne – Chairperson, Charter Schools Commission
- Amy Perruso – Teacher, Mililani High School
- Stacey Roberts – UH Professor, Chair of Educational Administration Program
- Carol Shikada – DOE – Educational Specialist (Kaua‘i)
- Linda Takayama – Workforce – Director of Labor & Industrial Relations
- Stephen Terstegge – Parent/Military, Castle High School
- Takashi Ohno – State Representative
The team had its first preliminary, introductory meeting today. Meeting minutes will be regularly distributed to the Legislature, Schools Superintendent, Board of Education, Department of Education and will be posted on the governor’s website at: governor.hawaii.gov.
The ESSA team will ultimately be responsible for assessing the current public school system and identifying areas of need.
An Education Summit will be scheduled this summer to give organizations and individuals the opportunity to discuss possibilities for a future-focused education system and solicit input on key recommendations to the state’s ESSA plan.