Madeline (“Auntie Madie”) Greene, long-time Puna resident and business owner, will officially kick off her campaign for Hawaii County Council, District 4, at the “Wing-Ding Bash”, a fundraising event to be held at the Nanawale Estates Community Center, on April 23, 2016, from 5p.m. – 8p.m. The event is open to the public, and will include sushi, poke, and salad bars, as well as chicken wings served with a variety of island sauces – $20 – all you can eat!
Auntie Madie’s run for Council continues a long-standing family commitment to public service, which began when her great grandfather, John Kepookapukamohoalii Punini, served as the first Sheriff of Puna.
Her own volunteer work in Puna includes:
- Past President, Vice-President and Treasurer of Mainstreet Pahoa Association;
- President of Nanawale Community AssociaM
- Member of Pahoa Regional Town Center Plan Steering Committee, the Drug Coalition, and Puna Watch, and a founding member of the Pahoa Schools Booster Club;
- Honorary Kupuna for the Men of Pa’a.
- In 2009, she was selected for the Hawaii County Women’s Hall of Fame;
- In 2010, she received the Hawaii County Achievement Award.
Issues Auntie Madie looks forward to tackling on behalf of District 4 citizens include mass transit, GMO food labeling (you have a right to know!), geothermal risks, homelessness, emergency evacuation route(s), road improvements and linkage in lower Puna, and jobs.
Come to Nanawale and meet your candidate for Puna. Tell her what is most important to you. Enjoy the food!