The Polynesian voyaging canoe Hōkūle‘a welcomes the public to visit her in Mā‘alaea Harbor for a few more days. Crew members have been connecting with youth and community groups since their arrival on Maui on June 17th.
A community presentation about the upcoming Worldwide Voyage is planned for Wednesday, June 26, from 6:00-8:00 PM at the headquarters of the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary at 726 S. Kīhei Road (see attached flyer). Apprentice navigator Ka‘iulani Murphy and crewmembers from Hui ‘o Wa‘a Kaulua, ‘Ohana Wa‘a and Polynesian Voyaging Society will be sharing their stories.
While docked at Mā‘alaea, the public is welcome to visit Hōkūle‘a between 9 AM – 12 noon and 1-5 PM through the 27th.
Mālama Hawai‘i is the first leg of Mālama Honua, the Worldwide Voyage sponsored by Hawaiian Airlines. Hōkūle‘a will pay respects to communities throughout Hawai‘i in gratitude for 38 years of support of voyaging here.
In addition, we will feature stories of leadership and wise practices in resource management, voyaging and navigation, innovative education, and cultural practice throughout the islands. The plans for the Worldwide Voyage will be shared at every port. Over the next several weeks*, Hōkūle‘a will be in the waters of Maui Nui:
- Through June 27 Mā‘alaea, Maui
- June 28 – Jul 1 Lahaina, Maui
- July 1 – 3 Kealaikahiki, Kaho‘olawe
- July 3 – 8 Mānele, Lāna‘i
- July 8 – 15 Kaunakakai, Moloka‘i
- August 16 – 18 Hāna, Maui
- August 18 – 19 Honolua, Maui
- August 19 – 20 Kalaupapa, Moloka‘i
- August 20 – 23 Kaunakakai, Moloka‘i
* All dates are subject to change. Committed to the safety of our crews and vessels, all sail dates are weather/safety dependent.
- Malama Honua Worldwide Voyage Public Celebration – Hōkūle’a in Hilo (damontucker.com)
- The Hōkūle’a Arrives in Hilo – Malama Hawaii (Statewide Sails) and Malama Honua (Worldwide Voyage) (damontucker.com)