The 3rd Annual Hawai‘i Fashion Week kicks off tomorrow, Sunday, September 23rd, with the Mr. & Miss Polynesia Pageant at the Hale Koa Hotel, and continues through Saturday, September 29th, featuring a total of four truly unique and exciting events that put the spotlight on local designers’ fashions, as well as local musicians.
“We encourage kama‘aina and malihini, alike, to join us for the most exciting Hawai‘i Fashion Week, yet!” said Ralph Malani, Founder and Director, Hawai‘i Fashion Week. “Each event features local Polynesian designers – both established and newcomers, as well as some of today’s finest local musicians, for a truly entertaining and unique week-long celebration! Our opening event is only $40, and the others are free, so please come out and support our local artists and our local fashion industry!”
Designer, model, actress, and star of a new BRAVO reality series, the beautiful Kea Ho – who also is the daughter of Hawaiian icon Don Ho, is the face and personality of Hawai‘i Fashion Week 2012. She will be the host at all four events.
HERE ARE THE EVENTS FOR HAWAI‘I FASHION WEEK 2012!
EVENT ‘EKAHI (1)
MR. & MISS POLYNESIA PACIFIC PAGEANT, HOSTED BY KEA HO
Date: Sunday, September 23, 2012
Time: Doors open 5:00 p.m.; Event begins 6:00 p.m.
Location: Hale Koa Hotel, Lu‘au Garden, Waikiki (www.halekoa.com)
Featured Entertainers: Anuhea, Mahikumakani “Mahi” Crabbe, ‘Anelaikalani
Tickets: $40 Tickets still available (dinner not included). For tickets, please call Soni at (808) 888-9640.
• This unique competition focuses on fashion, poise and talent, and promises to be an entertaining, glamorous, and fun evening. The male and female contestants are from Hawai‘i and around the Pacific, and compete in five culturally-based categories. Find out more at http://www.mrandmisspolynesia.com.
• Special appearances and performances by the outgoing Mr. and Miss Polynesia, Mr. Robert Mokiau and Miss Summer Manuma.
• In-demand contemporary singer-songwriter Anuhea will perform some of her hits, and songs from her latest CD.
• Mahi Crabbe is one of the most versatile and talented young musician-singers performing today, and can easily transition between traditional Hawaiian music, to reggae, to top 40, and classic oldies – without skipping a beat!
• ‘Anelaikalani, one of Hawai‘i’s premiere young female vocalists, released her first album at the tender age of 12, and her second at 14, both of which received Na Hoku Hanohano Award nominations.
NOTE: MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 24TH, IS AVAILABLE FOR MEDIA INTERVIEWS WITH THE NEW
MR. & MISS POLYNESIA 2013. PLEASE CONTACT MONA WOOD-SWORD TO SCHEDULE
AT (808) 218-5546 OR IKAIKACOMM@HAWAII.RR.COM.
EVENT ‘ELUA (2)
PAKELE LIVE! AT THE WILLOWS
FASHION SHOW HOSTED BY KEA HO
Date: Tuesday, September 25, 2012
Time: 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Location: The Willows, 901 Hausten Street (Mo‘ili‘ili), Honolulu (www.willowshawaii.com)
Featured Designers: MISSING POLYNESIA (www.missingpolynesia.com), KINI ZAMORA
Featured Entertainer: ‘Anelaikalani, Mahi Crabbe (artist info per above in ‘Ekahi)
Tickets: Free Admission. No cover, no minimum. The Willows delicious dinner buffet ($37.95/Keiki 4-10 $18.95/10% off for 65+) and a fabulous pupu menu and drink specials are available for purchase.
• Missing Polynesia will be presenting their new print designs and debuting their first ever men’s line at this event!!!
• Edgy Polynesian designer Kini Zamora will introduce his new holiday collection of party dresses and men’s basics.
• Usually taped in front of a live audience every Thursday night at The Willows, this is a special Pakele Live! presentation for Hawai‘i Fashion Week. Since 2006, Pakele Live! has been sharing some of the best in Hawai`i’s music to a global audience. The series was designed to showcase the beauty and richness of Hawai’i through its music, language, and hula. The popular show has local viewers, as well as loyal followers in the mainland U.S., Canada, Japan, London, and Australia, and even among those serving our nation in Iraq. Find out more at http://www.pakelelive.com.
EVENT ‘EKOLU (3)
RED CARPET AT THE ROYAL GROVE, HOSTED BY KEA HO
FEATURING A FASHION SHOW, CONCERT AND STUDENT DESIGNER COUTURE COMPETITION
Date: Friday, September 28, 2012
Time: 7:00-9:00 p.m.
Location: Royal Hawaiian Center, The Royal Grove, Waikiki (www.royalhawaiiancenter.com)
Featured Designers: TALI’S POLYNESIA, SINA THOMSEN, UOLENI TUPUOLA, and ALOHA
‘AINA; Also featuring STUDENT DESIGNERS FROM UNIVERSITY OF HAWAI‘I who will be competing in the Young Designer Couture Competition.
• Designer/Artist Estelle Green;
• Host/Designer/Model/Actress/Reality Star Kea Ho;
• Honolulu Star-Advertiser/HI Luxury Magazine Beauty/Fashion Editor Nadine Kam;
• Designer for Baby Phat, Phat Farm and creator of Zoo York, Eli Morgan;
• and MidWeek Managing Editor and Fashion/Lifestyle Writer Yushing Ting.
Featured Entertainers: Na Hoa (see info, below, in “About”), Anelaikalani, Mahikumakani “Mahi” Crabbe (last 2 artists’ info per above in ‘Ekahi)
Tickets: Free Admission; Seating is first-come, first-served.
• Red Carpet at The Royal Grove combines a fashion show, concert, and design competition into one exciting evening under the stars in the heart of Waikiki!
• This is the first year that organizers of Hawai‘i Fashion Week have included a student design competition, although it has long been a dream of founder Ralph Malani. The winner will be selected by a celebrity panel of judges, and receive cash and prizes from Royal Hawaiian Center, Wolfgang’s Steakhouse by Wolfgang Zwiener, and other generous sponsors.
• Tali’s Polynesia, Sina Thomsen, and Uoleni Tupuola will feature their gorgeous Polynesia-inspired fashions on the runway, while Aloha ‘Aina, a popular boutique at the Royal Hawaiian Center, will showcase outfits from some of the many local designers the store carries.
• Na Hoa – Hale Seabury, Keoni Souza and Ikaika Blackburn – sing sweet falsetto and harmony in a nostalgic style, with vibrant voices.
EVENT ‘EHA (4)
HARD ROCK’S TAHITIAN FASHION FETE, HOSTED BY KEA HO
Date: Saturday, September 29, 2012
Time: 4:00-6:00 p.m
Location: Hard Rock Café Honolulu, Beachwalk, Waikiki (http://www.hardrock.com/)
Featured Designers: 88 TEES (www.88tees.com), HINANO TAHITI (www.hinanolife.com), TIARE TEITI (www.tiareteiti.com), TETAINA TAHITI
Featured Entertainer: Anuhea, Mahi Crabbe (artist info per above in ‘Ekahi)
Tickets: Free Admission. Pupu and drink specials available from Hard Rock Café.
• Journey to Tahiti with us at this fashion fete featuring the most renowned Tahitian designers in Hawai‘i, who will be modeling their new lines for fall/winter – as well as fun and fashionable designs from 88 Tees.
• Giveaways throughout the night!!!
• 88 Tees will be showing fun and hip tees and accessories that have made them a must-stop-shop for Japanese visitors through the years!
• Hinano Tahiti will be previewing their new collection of casual island wear for 2013!
• Tiare Teiti will share their gorgeous holiday looks for 2012!
• Tetaina Tahiti will showcase one-of-a-kind gowns and cocktail dresses from French Polynesia!
MAHALO NUI to Hawai‘i Fashion Week’s generous sponsors and partners (in alpha order):
HALE KOA HOTEL
HARD ROCK CAFE
LAW OFFICES OF MICHAEL J. GREEN
MARGO LE PEARLE DE TAHITI
MICHI MOORE PHOTOGRAPHY
MT. KALIHI PRODUCTIONS
PACIFIC AGRIBUSINESS, LLC
RALPH MALANI ENTERTAINMENT
ROYAL HAWAIIAN CENTER
WOLFGANG’S STEAKHOUSE BY WOLFGANG ZWIENER
Hawai’i Fashion Week was founded and is directed by Ralph Malani, and produced by Mt. Kalihi Productions.