Art makers and lovers alike are invited to join Volcano Art Center for the first of many creative conversations about their Hawaii Island Network of Artists initiative on Wednesday, September 19, 2012.
Hosted at VAC’s Niaulani Campus in Volcano Village from 5:30 to 7:00pm, HINA project coordinator Tiffany DeEtte Shafto and VAC CEO Tanya Aynessazian will lead an open discussion on the needs of local artists—what works, what doesn’t, and share ideas for collective improvement. The overall goals for HINA will be examined with attendee input warmly encouraged.
Participation in the Hawaii Island Network of Artists is free to all visual artists on Hawaii’s Big Island. Meeting attendance is also free and future gatherings are already being coordinated for each District:
- Kickoff Meeting: September 19 at 5:30pm, Volcano Art Center, 19-4074 Old Volcano Road, Volcano
- Puna Community: September 20 at 5:30pm, Pahoa Community Center, 15-2910 Puna Road, Pahoa
- South Kohala Community: October 9 at 5:30pm, Waimea Community Center, 65-1260 Kawaihae Road, Waimea
- South Hilo Community: October 24 at 5:30pm, UH Hilo, Room UCB 127, Hilo
- Hamakua Community: November 7 at 5:30pm, NHERC, 45-539 Plumeria Street, Honokaa
- South Kona Community: January 24, 2013 at 5:30pm, SKEA, 84-5191 Mamalahoa Hwy, Captain Cook
- North Kona Community: February 7 at 5:30pm, Donkey Mill Art Center, 78-6670 Mamalahoa Hwy, Holualoa
- Kau Community: March 7 at 5:30pm, Naalehu Community Center, 95-5635 Mamalahoa Hwy, Naalehu
- North Kohala Community: TBA
- North Hilo Community: TBA
There are many ways to participate if you are unable to attend a meeting in person. For more information, visit www.HINArtists.org, connect on Facebook at facebook.com/HINArtists, on Twitter at @HINArtists, through email at info@HINArtists.org or call Volcano Art Center directly at (808) 967-8222.
Hawaii Island Network of Artists is a project of Volcano Art Center and is supported in part with funding from Hawaii County. Photo and video artist volunteers are needed to assist with documenting meetings and project progress. Please email Tiffany if you are interested in lending your services at info@HINArtists.org.
Volcano Art Center (VAC) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1974 to develop, promote and perpetuate the artistic, cultural and environmental heritage of Hawaii’s people through the arts and education.