The Hawai‘i Island Beacon Community (HIBC) and its participating organizations are celebrating National Health Information Technology (Health IT) Week from Sept. 10-14, 2012 and raising awareness about how technology is achieving better health care, improved health and lower costs.
- More than 85 percent of Primary Care Physicians (PCPs) have set up EHRs and more than 26 percent have achieved Stage 1 Meaningful Use to qualify for federal incentive payments. HIBC and the Hawai‘i Pacific Regional Extension Center (REC) are assisting Big Island physicians with adopting EHRs and demonstrating Meaningful Use.
- There are 29 PCP practices serving approximately 25,000 patients participating in HIBC’s Practice Redesign initiative to adopt the Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) model, which includes the use of EHRs.
- More than 500 patients are participating in the Care Coordination initiative, which is paving the way for Health IT to enhance communication between providers and create collaborative health care “neighborhoods” in East Hawai‘i, North Hawai‘i and West Hawai‘i for patients with chronic disease. A new HIBC partner, Hawai‘i Island Care Coordination Services (HICCS), has introduced another Health IT tool that provides in-home monitoring.
- An array of Health Information Exchange (HIE) options are becoming available for physicians. One HIE system being developed through the partnership of HIBC, North Hawai‘i Community Hospital and Alere Wellogic, has completed a successful pilot phase and is expanding to other providers. Big Island physicians are also signing up to use secure direct messaging and referrals through the statewide Hawai‘i HIE.
- Bay Clinic
- County of Hawai‘i
- East Hawai‘i Independent Physician Association
- Five Mountains Independent Physician Association
- Hāmākua Health Center
- Hawai‘i Health Information Exchange
- Hawai‘i Island Care Coordination Services
- Hawai‘i Medical Service Association
- Hawai‘i Pacific Regional Extension Center
- Hilo Medical Center
- Hui Mālama Ola Nā ‘Ōiwi
- Kona Community Hospital
- National Kidney Foundation of Hawai‘i
- North Hawai‘i Community Hospital
- University of Hawai‘i at Hilo
- West Hawai‘i Community Health Center
- West Hawai‘i Independent Physician Association
- 19 Healthy Eating and Active Living (HEAL) projects island-wide
- Hawai’i Island Beacon Community Expands Alere Wellogic Health Information Exchange in Partnership with North Hawai’i Community Hospital (damontucker.com)
- More Funding Needed for Statewide Invasive Species Programs (damontucker.com)
Filed under: aloha, Announcements, Big Island, Community, Hawaii, Hawaiian, Health Tagged: | Big Island, Electronic health record, Hawaii, Hawaii Island Beacon Community, Health Care, Health Information Exchange, National Health Week