WE… a hui for health, a program created in 2011 and based on Hawai’i values and local relationships, will be in 16 Big Island communities over the next month to give island residents greater access to health screenings and information to help them understand their role in improving their own health.
WE events on the Big Island are made possible through the financial and materials support of many different health-related advocacy groups, government agencies, native Hawaiian health organizations, ‘Ohana Health Plan, Young Brothers and the Lions Clubs throughout Hawai’i, all working together to provide these free health screening events. Events will be held at the following locations and dates:
- Kealakekua Ranch Shopping Center (near Choice Mart), Sunday, Aug 26, Full WE, including Vision Van, 9am-1pm, Vision Van ONLY, 1pm-4pm
- Ocean View Farmers Market, Saturday, Sept 1, Full WE, including Vision Van, 8am–12noon
- Ka’u Resource and Distance Learning Center, Saturday, Sept 1, Full WE, including Vision Van, 2pm–6pm
- Maku’u Market, Pahoa, Sunday, Sept 2, Full WE, including Vision Van, 7am–12noon
- Hilo Bandstand, Friday, Sept 7, Full WE, including Vision Van, 8am-11am
- Hilo Life Care Center, Saturday, Sept 8, Full WE, including Vision Van, 8am–3pm
- Hilo Wal-Mart , Sunday, Sept 9, Full WE, including Vision Van, 10am–2pm
- Hawai`i County Fair, Hilo, Thursday, Sept 13, Vision Van ONLY, 6pm-10pm
- North Hawaii Education and Research Center, Friday, Sept 14, Full WE, including Vision Van, 10am–2pm, Vision Van ONLY, 9am-5pm
- North Hawai`i Community Hospital, Waimea , Saturday, Sept 15, Full WE, including Vision Van, 11am–2pm, Vision Van ONLY, 9am-5pm
- Waikoloa Shopping Center , Sunday, Sept 16, Full WE, including Vision Van, 10am–2pm, Vision Van ONLY, 9am–4pm
- Hawi Banyan Tree , Tuesday, Sept 18, Vision Van ONLY, 9am-3pm
- Honoka’a Gym, Saturday, Sept 22, Vision Van ONLY, 9am-5pm
- Parker Ranch Center, Waimea , Sunday, Sept 23, Vision Van ONLY, 9am-5pm
Young Brothers is providing free inter-island shipping of the Project Vision Hawaii vision van, thereby making these health screening events possible.
- Lung Function Testing – Spirometry – (Hawaii COPD Coalition)
- Glucose and Blood Pressure Testing (American Diabetes Association, Entra Health Systems `Ohana Health Plan)
- Take-Home Kidney Function Test (National Kidney Foundation of Hawaii)
- Women’s Health and Breast Self-Examination training and Information (The Queen’s Medical Center, Women’s Health and Maternity Services)
- Hepatitis Risk Assessment and Screening and Safe Tattoo Practices information (Hepatitis Support Network)
- Hearing Testing and Learning Disabilities Information (Learning Disabilities Association of Hawai’i)
- Smoking Cessation Counseling (America Lung Association)
- Family Caregiver Counseling (The Caregiver Foundation of America, Hawaii Chapter)
- Organ Donor Counseling (Legacy of Life Hawaii)
- Mental Health Information, Peer Education, and Resource Publications (Community Alliance for Mental Health)
- Cancer – Issues with the diagnosis and treatment of Cancer (‘Imi Hale of Papa Ola Lokahi)
- Medicare Education and assistance (Sage PLUS, Executive Office on Aging, Department of Health, State of Hawai’i)
- The Department of Health is also offering information on Disaster Preparedness – “Plan 9” for sheltering in place provides a guide to help residents shelter-in-place in the event of an emergency.
- For healthier eating habits, the DOH has Hawaii 5-2-1-0 providing o simple steps to healthy lifestyles for children and families.
- Hui Malama Ola Na `Oiwi, Native Hawaiian Health Care for Hawai`i Island, will be providing nutrition education and tobacco cessation awareness education and displays.
- 2012 Ho’okele Award Winners Announced (damontucker.com)
- Hawaii Department of Health Urges ALL Baby Boomers to Get Hepatitis C Screening (damontucker.com)
- Hawaii Department of Health Launches New Website – Hawai’i Network of Care (damontucker.com)
- Hawaii Youth Take a Stand on Underage Drinking Prevention (damontucker.com)
Filed under: aloha, Announcements, Big Island, Community, Hawaii, Hawaiian, Health, Kids, State Affairs Tagged: | Big Island, Department of Health, Health Care Screenings in Hawaii, We... a Hui for Health