Six culinary stations took top honors at the recent Big Island Chocolate Festival at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai.
Renowned New York City chocolatier Jacques “Mr. Chocolate” Torres oversaw a team of judges who critiqued the savory and sweet creations by chefs and confectioners.
Winners and their entries included:
- The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii, Big Isle Chocolate Pork Mole w/Tomatillo Salsa over Kabocha Pumpkin Maki
- Hilton Waikoloa Village, Orange Ginger Chocolate Mac Nut Crunch Torte
- Sweet Paradise Chocolatier, Island Bounty Assortment: Lilikoi Silk, Ka’u Cappuccino, Kula Lavender ’N Maui Honeycomb, Coconut Creme Brulee and Mango Eruption
Best Bean to Bar
- Madre Chocolate
People’s Choice: 2 Winners
- First Place – Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, 24-Hr Braised Wild Boar Grilled Cheese w/ Chocolate and BBQ Bourbon Sauce and Hawaiian Chili Pepper AND MacNut Crusted Chocolate Pop w/ Lilikoi Foam and Alae Salted Caramel (2 culinary offerings)
- Second Place – Kailua Candy Company, Cathy’s Retro Mai Tai
Three hundred attendees enjoyed the festival’s offerings, which included live and silent auctions to benefit the building of a new amphitheatre at Kona Pacific Public Charter School and the “Equip the Kitchen” Campaign for the future Hawaii Community College campus at Palamanui.