Hawaiʻi Islands District Two State Senator Gilbert Kaheleʻs 2012 legislative accomplishments included $35 Million in new projects for Hawaiʻi Island. See the full list below which includes all Capital Improvement Projects, Legislation and Resolutions sponsored by Senator Gilbert Kahele this year and approved by the 2012 Legislature.
Senator Kahele will also be hosting a 2012 Legislative Update for East Hawaiʻi residents on June 19th 2012 at 5PM at the Hilo High School Cafeteria.
“This years session was extremely productive for Hawaiʻi Island. The CIP projects and legislation I was able to lobby for and achieve would not have been possible without the help of our Big Island Legislative team in the House and Senate. It is always a team effort as all of us strive every day to improve the quality of life for our Hawaiʻi Island families. I am looking forward to working closely with the Executive Administration and our Governor to insure that these funds are released so work can begin on these critical projects.” said Senator Gilbert Kahele
CIP projects for Hawaiʻi Island secured by Senator Gil Kahele in the FY13 Budget
TOTAL APPROPRIATION: $35,000,000.00
- Ka’u Irrigation System Upgrade ($1.5 Million) – Plans, design and construction for improvements to the transmission ditch and flume system of the former Kaʻu Agribusiness Plantationʻs irrigation system.
- Pacific International Space Center for Explorations System ($1.8 Million) – Plans, design and construction for a Pisces Facility at Shipman Industrial Park
- Transpacific Cable Project ($2.2 Million) – Plans to create privately managed shared open access submarine fiber optic cable land stations statewide.
- Waiakeawaena Elementary School ($450K) Construction for additional parking on Kinoole Street; ground and site improvements; equipment and appurtenances.
- Waiakeawaena Elementary School ($350K) – Plans, design and construction and equipment to install a fall safety surface with ground covering and padding at the schools playground.
- Waiakea High School ($500K) – Construction and equipment for the schools new all-weather track and field facility.
- Friends of the Volcano School of Arts and Sciences ($618K) -Plans and design to relocate Volcano School of Arts and Sciences to Keakealani School in Volcano Village on the Island of Hawaiʻi.
- Hawaiʻi Island Community Development Corporation ($385K) – Plans, land acquisition and design for an adult care center facility in Hilo.
- Hilo International Airport, ARFF Facility improvements ($1.75 Million) – Construction for the renovation of the aircraft rescue and fire fighting station and other related improvements for the airport modernization program.
- Volcano Road Widening, Keaau to Paahana ($4 Million) – Construction for the widening of Volcano Road from Keaau to Paahana includinginstallation of signs, pavement markings, drainage, guardrails and other improvements.
- Keaau-Pahoa Road Shoulder Lane Conversion ($2 Million) -Construction for reconstruction and widening of the existing shoulder and constructing new shoulders from Keaau Bypass Road to the vicinity of Shower Drive, Hawaiʻi.
- UHH, College of AG, Forest and Natural Resource Management ($25K) – Plans, design and construction for the University of Hawaii at Hiloʻs College of Agriculture, Forest and Natural Resource Management Bee Hive research facility in Panaewa, Hawaiʻi.
- West Hawaiʻi Community College at Palamanui, Hawaiʻi ($750K) – Construction and equipment for Phase 1 & 2 at the Hawaiʻi Community College at Palamanui.
- Lanakila Homes Renovation, Hilo, Hawaiʻi (HPHA06) ($7.5 Million) – Design and construction for Lanakila Homes and renovation of the existing vacant buildings.
- Miloliʻi Wharf and Small Harbor Pier Renovation ($500K) – Plans, design and construction for improvements at various boating facilities statewide to include piers, loading docks, utilities, boat ramps, restrooms, etc. Total appropriation statewide: $4 Million
HAWAIʻI ISLAND DOE UPGRADES AND IMPROVEMENTS
- Pahoa Elementary Electrical Upgrade – $1.2 Million
- Waiakeawaena Elementary Electrical Upgrade – $1.5 Million
- Kaʻu High School – Softball Field Improvements – $400K
- Waiakea High School – Softball Field Improvements – $800K
- Kaʻu High & Pahala Elementary – Science Facility Upgrades *
- Pahoa High and Intermediate – Science and Facility Upgrades *
- Keaau High School – Science and Facility Upgrades *
- Renovation of existing science labs, cost per school will vary based on number of labs and extent of upgrades. Also split between Molokai High, Kapaa High, Radford High and Lahainaluna High.
Total appropriation: $5 Million
HILO MEDICAL CENTER UPGRADES
This years budget provided that the general obligation fund appropriation for Hawaiʻi Health Systems Corporation (HTH 212), the sum of $20,000,000 or so much thereof as may be necessary for fiscal year 2012-2013 shall be expended by the Hawaiʻi Health Systems Corporation for repair and maintenance projects, including those to correct health and safety deficiencies; provided further that of the total sum:
- $160,000 shall be used to replace the walk-in refrigerator/freezer at the Hilo Medical Center
- $146,000 shall be used for a new nurse call system at the Hilo Medical Center
- $200,000 shall be used for spill prevention control & countermeasure corrections at the Hilo Medical Center
- $134,000 shall be used for a new security wall at Hale Hoola, Hilo Medical Center
- $650,000 shall be used to reroof the West Wing, River Cottages and Hospital Cottage at the Hilo Medical Center
- $728,000 shall be used to replace the atrium roof wall at the Hilo Medical Center
- $1,052,000 shall be used for acute hospital repairs at the Hilo Medical Center
- $400,000 shall be used to upgrade the air conditioning and perform additional duct work at the Hilo Medical Center
- $350,000 shall be used to replace the chiller piping at the Hilo Medical Center
- $233,000 shall be used for the demolition of Old Building (Pink Palace) at the Hilo Medical Center
- $160,000 shall be used to replace the laundry dryers/washers at the Hilo Medical Center
- $235,000 shall be used to renovate the parking lot at the Hilo Medical Center
- $262,000 shall be used for a walking bridge at the Hilo Medical Center
- $150,000 shall be used for retro-commissioning and an energy audit at the Hilo Medical Center.
TOTAL UPGRADES TO HILO MEDICAL CENTER: $4,860,000.00
LEGISLATION WHICH SENATOR KAHELE WAS THE PRIMARY INTRODUCER AND PASSED THE 2012 HAWAIʻI STATE LEGISLATURE
- SB 2648 – Relating to Campaign Finance – Authorizes the use of campaign funds to be used to award scholarships to full time students attending an institute of higher education or vocational school.
- SB 2337 – Relating to Transportation – Authorizes the Department of Transportation to extend the term of any airport concession in exchange for revenue enhancing improvements.
- SB 2386 – Relating to the Native Hawaiian Roll Commission – Requires the Native Hawaiian Roll Commission to be responsible for the verification documents provided by individuals seeking to be on the roll.
- SB 3003 – Relating to Geothermal Resources – Differentiates between “geothermal resources exploitation” and “geothermal resources development”. Makes permissible in all state land use districts and conservation district zones.
- SB 2001 – Relating to the Public Land Trust – Amends the Hawaiʻi State Planning Act to include promoting the development of indigenous geothermal energy resources that are located on public trust land as a firm source of power. Requires consultation from the Native Hawaiian community and the general public.
- SB 3001 – Relating to Wildlife – Prohibits the inter island possession, transfer, transport, or release after transport of wild or feral deer; establishes mandatory fines.
- SB 3002 – Relating to Real Estate Brokers and Salespersons – Amends provisions relating to the licensing and penalties of real estate brokers and salespersons by requiring the real estate commission to consider whether a licensee relied in good faith on the information they provided.
RESOLUTIONS WHICH SENATOR KAHELE WAS THE PRIMARY INTRODUCER AND PASSED THE 2012 HAWAIʻI STATE LEGISLATURE
- SCR 156 – Urges the creation of an exploratory committee to consider the establishment of an International Aviation Training Center at the Hilo International Airport and an Advanced Degree Training Program at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. – Requests that the Governor convene a 10 member exploratory committee to examine the feasibility and necessary resources required to establish the center and academic program. Requires the committee to report itʻs findings, recommendations and any budget requests to the 2013 Legislature.
- SCR49 – Requesting the Department of Transportation to form a working group to expeditiously resolve the issue of “Roads in Limbo” statewide.
- SCR67 – Recognizing the Hawaiʻi Agriculture Research Center for its benefits to the agriculture industry and urging the Hawaii Agriculture Research Center to establish the proposed Kunia Agriculture Processing and Sales Center.
- SR17 – Requesting the Department of Transportation to form a working group to expeditiously resolve the issue of “Roads in Limbo” in Maui County.
- SR33 – Urging the Counties to preserve property tax exemptions for Kuleana Lands.
- SR42 – Establishes a working group to discuss the creation of a strategic plan for the development and marketing of the Hawaiʻi Tea Industry and make recommendations for labeling requirements of Hawaiʻi grown tea.
- Gilbert Kahele Announces Hawaiʻi State Senate District One Candidacy (damontucker.com)
- Senator Kahele on Goals for East Hawaii (damontucker.com)