WHAT: ADVANCE SCREENING OF HBO DOCUMENTARY THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION - Launching one of the most far-reaching public health campaigns on this epidemic to date. Event is made possible with the support and participation of:
- HBO Documentary Films
- Hawaii State Department of Health
- The Institute of Medicine
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Institutes of Health
- Michael & Susan Dell Foundation
WHEN: Friday, May 11, 2012,
- 5:30 p.m. The Weight of the Nation Screening (Part 1: “Consequences”)
- 6:30 p.m. Panel Discussion
WHERE: The Palace Theater, 38 Haili Street, Hilo, HI 96720
The number of overweight children in the United States has doubled in the past 30 years, with similar patterns occurring in Hawaii. And the problem has only gotten worse. To address this rising concern, Kaiser Permanente is hosting an advance screening of The Weight of the Nation, helping launch one of the most far-reaching public health campaigns on this epidemic to date.
The Weight of the Nation is HBO’s four-part series featuring case studies and interviews with leading experts and with individuals and families struggling with obesity. Part 1 of the series, “Consequences,” which examines the scope of the obesity epidemic and explores the serious health consequences of being overweight or obese, will be screened. Following the screening, there will be a forum for the public to “Weigh-in” on the weight of Hawaii during a town hall-style discussion with local experts.
The goal of this event is to create continuing dialogue about improving the health of our community. Kaiser Permanente’s Community Health Initiatives for Healthy Eating Active Living support more than 40 obesity prevention collaboratives, which aim to increase access to healthy food and opportunities for physical activity in schools, neighborhoods and workplaces.
Kaiser Permanente has partnered with HBO, the Institute of Medicine, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on The Weight of the Nation campaign.
The documentary series debuts on May 14, exclusively on HBO, and is comprised of four documentary films, a three-part HBO Family series, 14 bonus shorts, a social media campaign, a book published by St. Martin’s Press and a nationwide community-based outreach campaign. Further information on the series can be found at theweightofthenation.hbo.com.
For more information on Kaiser Permanente’s work in the community, visit www.kp.org/communitybenefit.
- HBO documentary series addresses country’s obesity problem (austin360.com)
- Obese Teen Girls Helped To Manage Weight, Improve Body Image And Behavior By Primary Care Program (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Kaiser Permanente study finds obesity-asthma link in children varies by race/ethnicity (eurekalert.org)
- To Win, We Have To Lose! (dietitiandrive.com)
- HBO Made A Documentary About Obesity, And It Doesn’t Look Like A Fat-Shaming Bonanza! (blisstree.com)