Public Works Project Update: Kailua Village Seawall, W. Kawailani St., Mākālei Fire Station

The following items are on the agenda for the Hawaii County Public Works Department:

Kailua Bay Seawall Repair

Restoration of the Kailua Village Seawall along Aliʻi Drive, damaged by the 2011 tsunami, will begin April 23. The seawall will be restored by individuals who are knowledgeable in the construction of a Hawaiian rock wall. The $172,546.00 project, awarded to Isemoto Contracting, is scheduled for completion June 6, 2012. Work hours are Monday – Saturday, 7:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M.

The Makalei Fire Station

Mākālei Fire Station

The 11,000-square-foot Mākālei Fire Station currently under construction in Kona is 94 percent completed. The contractors are currently constructing the 50-foot driveway, connecting it to Māmalahoa Highway, installing traffic signal beacons, and completing utility work. Completed projects include the 50 kilowatt photovoltaic system, radio communication room, an three-space apparatus bay, a hose tower, a generator building, maintenance storage, office, kitchen, training room, dormitory, shower, restroom facilities, exercise work rooms, laundry room, fuel tank, and parking areas for staff and guests. Construction cost is $6.184 million, of which $ 4,113,686.00 million is funded under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. The project started April 28, 2011 is scheduled for completion in August.

West Kawailani Street Improvements

Integrated Construction Inc., contractors for the roadwork along West Kawailani Street in South Hilo, will begin mobilizing at the site the first week in May with construction to follow. Alternate lane closures throughout most of the project will begin from Kanoelani Street to the ‘Āinaola Drive & Pōhakulani Street intersection weekdays 8:30 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. Hawaiian Telcom and the Department of Public Works are relocating utilities in preparation of future work from Kanoelani to Kuhilani Street, and portions of ‘Āinaola.  80 percent of the $1 million project is funded by the Federal Highway Administration, and the remaining 20 percent by the County. Completion is scheduled for 2013.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


× four = 8

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>