Governor Abercrombie offers a special holiday message and reflects upon the meaning and values of Mele Kalikimaka and Hau’oli Makahiki Hou.
We all know Christmas is a special time of the year and we say so every Christmas. But what is it that makes it special? I suspect it’s because we feel we need to remind ourselves about values that represent the holiday season – The value of giving, of sharing joy, of spreading the meaning of Aloha near and far – to family, friends, and even those we meet or scarcely know.
We emphasize these things during the holidays because we fear we may have forgotten them more than a little bit since last Christmas. The idea of the greetings – Mele Kalikimaka – Hau’oli Makahiki Hou – is to remind ourselves that perhaps this year we can keep their meaning fresh in our hearts and minds all through the year to come. So, Mele Kalikimaka – Hau’oli Makahiki Hou. Love and joy to you this holiday and for all the days to come in the New Year.
- Mele Kalikimaka (rosalynyoung.wordpress.com)
- Mele kalikimaka: Cool Yule in Honolulu (orbitz.com)
- Mele Kalikimaka Punahou Style (punahou74.wordpress.com)
- Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas in Hawaiian) (thechefstableblog.com)
- Mele Kalikimaka Is The Thing To Say (ravingmadscientists.wordpress.com)
- “Mele Kalikimaka!” BYU-Hawai’i Game Delayed By A Bad Santa [Video] (deadspin.com)
- The 5th Annual E Mau Ana Ka Hula & Makahiki Festival (damontucker.com)
- Holidays in Hawaii: Hotel feasts & Santa in a canoe (orbitz.com)
- Mele Kalikimaka, Y’all! :: Etsy Loving! (theyoungretiree.wordpress.com)
- Dream Destination for Christmas! (lolitalane.com)