Anyone that has driven through the intersection at Highway 130 and Old Government Road (Malama Market Intersection) knows how dangerous that intersection is and how danger Highway 130 is in general.
Well it looks like that intersection is going to be turned into a round-a-bout fairly soon.
Department of Transportation (HDOT), Highways Division is seeking qualified consultants to provide general engineering services for Keaau-Pahoa Road, Intersection Improvements at Old Government Road, Island of Hawaii.
The Intent of project is to improve operations and address and reduce the number of crashes at subject intersection by converting existing T-Intersection into a single-lane modern roundabout.
I just read about the consultation contract and the contract will be a Definite Quantity Contract, in accordance with §3-122-142, HAR. A contract time of performance of 6 months, and a budget of $500,000 are anticipated.
You can read more about the solicitation for the project here, and let’s hope this thing gets fixed before we have any more serious accidents there.
In other Highway 130 related news, Senator Gilbert Kahele will be continuing his talk stories about Highway 130 on Thursday, December 1st from 6-8 pm at the Pahoa Community Center.
- Another Highway 130 Wreck – Malama Market Intersection (damontucker.com)
- Highway 130 Updates With Senator Kahele (damontucker.com)
- Another Highway 130 Wreck at the Malama Market Intersection (damontucker.com)
- Big Island Police Investigating Highway 130 Shooting (damontucker.com)
- Department of Transportation Meeting Tonight – Puna Makai Alternate Route (PMAR) to be Discussed (damontucker.com)
- Senator Kahele Announces Puna Talk Story Forums (damontucker.com)