Well now that the 2011 APEC Hawaii Summit is over some are wondering if it was worth it for our state to put out such taxpayers money for an event of this magnitude.
“…The actual APEC cost to state government totaled $3.2 million, 57 percent lower than the original projected cost of $7.5 million.Schatz said one reason for the lower APEC bills was that protesters during APEC were peaceful, and there were no arrests.”A lot of those funds, those expected expenditures, were in the case that something happened that had to be dealt with, whether it was mass arrests, or an air quality problem or a need for overtime for law enforcement officers,” Schatz said…
Despite the fact that it is well known that the State did stock up on pepper spray and other measures that could potentially cause harm to protestors, Lt. Governor Schatz stated the State will ask the Federal government for some reimbursements of the cost:
“We were one of the only national security special events in recent memory where there were no lawsuits, because we weren’t about to use law enforcement as a premise to shut down people’s ability to express their viewpoints,” he said.The state will ask the federal government for reimbursement for all the extra APEC security costs.
The event lasted from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm and consisted of heavy Big Island pupus…
I don’t have a breakdown of where the $90,000.00 may or may not have gone to… but I assume the Big Island entertainers that were brought there were paid such as Na Hoku Hanohano Award Winners Kuana Torres Kahele and Mark Yamanaka.
And K’uipo Kumukahi:
I can only assume that many county officials expenses were paid for such as air, hotel and car rental expenses… since they were there to “Promote the Big Island”.
Word went around the coconut wireless that folks were to wear clothes that represented the Big Island and I sure saw a lot of Sig Zane Design clothes there!
And for those who may wonder… I did not use any taxpayers money in covering the APEC event! Mahalo to my sponsors for covering the majority of my expenses!
- A Celebration of Hawaii Island… APEC Style (damontucker.com)
- County of Hawaii Gets New “Rag” – Mayor Kenoi Joins Twitter and Facebook (damontucker.com)
- Mayor Kenoi at APEC 2011 (damontucker.com)
- Wordless Wednesday – Bringing the Big Island to APEC 2011 (damontucker.com)
- APEC VIDEO: Hawaii County Awardee for Hawaii Business Innovation Showcase – Big Island Carbon (damontucker.com)
- Big Island Coffee Growers Favor APEC Free Trade Deal (damontucker.com)
- UH Mighty Micromouse on Display at APEC (damontucker.com)
- Lt. Governor Brian Schatz – “Why China Matters to Hawaii” (damontucker.com)
- Leaders Week TV – Aloha APEC Delegates (damontucker.com)
- President Obama’s Speech Before Makana Sang His “Occupy With Aloha” Protest Song at the APEC World Leaders Dinner (damontucker.com)
- Lawmakers Told by Governor’s & Mayor’s Office that Roundup of Homeless Will Not Occur Prior to the APEC Summit (damontucker.com)