I was driving down near the Hilo soccer fields today when I noticed the Google Street View Car pull into Wailoa State Park by the King Kamehameha Statue.
I knew the car was on the island, but this was my first opportunity to trap it at a dead end and get a good picture of it before it moved away from me!
I was surprised when the car slowed down and then I noticed this huge “GOOGLE BIKE” with all these cameras attached to it!
I didn’t even know that Google used an actual man powered bike for this street view system. Can you imagine what an awesome job that would be! Literally riding your bike around the world and getting paid big bucks to do it!
the bike and the car met up and talked for a few minutes. It didn’t seem like they wanted to talk to me too much even though I identified myself as a local blogger who uses street view quite a bit. They did tell me that they were going to be on the island until at least the end of the year.
I knew that they were at a dead end and would eventually have to turn around and come back out so I staked out my position and then caught this short video of the biker leaving the park:
- Google Street View uses Train to Capture the Swiss Alps (shoppingblog.com)
- Google Street View to take refuge indoors (thenewssource.co.uk)
- Google Street View Cars Causing Dirty Roads (seroundtable.com)
- Google Street View trike cycles into parks (digitaltrends.com)
- Google Street View lets you take a walk in parks across the world (thenextweb.com)
Filed under: aloha, Big Island, Hawaii, Hilo, Something New?, Technology, Transportation, Unexplained Phenomenon Tagged: | Google Bike, Google Car, Google Street View, Google Trike, Street View, Wailoa State Park