The State of Hawaii will receive a federal grant totaling $1,591,789 for veterans cemeteries on the neighbor islands announced Senator Daniel K. Akaka (D-Hawaii), Senator Daniel K. Inouye (D-Hawaii), and Congresswoman Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) today.
“Our veterans dedicated their lives to serve our country in times of need. Without their sacrifices, we would not be able to enjoy the rights and freedoms we do today. We honor the actions of these brave men and women through the continued upkeep and preservation of these memorial parks,” said Senator Akaka, former Chairman of the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee. “The Department of Veterans Affairs and the Office of Veterans Services have worked hard to ensure these cemeteries are worthy of those who rest there, and these funds will help them continue their important work.”
The funds will be used toward the expansion and improvement of the Kauai Veterans Cemetery, Lanai Veterans Cemetery, Molokai Veterans Cemetery, and East Hawaii Veterans Cemetery.
“I am very pleased that we continue to invest in the expansion, maintenance and appearance of these memorial parks that serve as the final resting place for our fallen heroes. These parks provide families and loved ones a place to convene to honor the memory of our brave veterans. Maintaining clean, safe, and dignified memorial parks for those brave enough to put on the uniform and defend our great nation is the very least we can do to honor their sacrifice,” said Senator Inouye.
“This funding helps us honor our veterans and their families for their years of service and sacrifice,” said Congresswoman Mazie Hirono. “Their final resting place should be a lasting tribute to the men and women who defended our country.”
- Congresswoman Hirono Speaks Against Bill H.R. 2587 That Weakens American Workers’ Fundamental Rights (damontucker.com)
- Consider it an Endorsement (politicalwire.com)
- Hawaii Final Stop for “Duty, Honor, America Tour” – Cycling 50 States in One Year (damontucker.com)
- Senator Inouye Tours New Highway, Interpretive Center (damontucker.com)
- Hawaii to Receive $13.9 Million in Homeland Security Grants (damontucker.com)
- Bipartisan Group of Senators Announce Formation of Oceans Caucus (damontucker.com)
Filed under: aloha, Announcements, Hawaii, Military, National Affairs, State Affairs Tagged: | Daniel Akaka, Daniel Inouye, East Hawaii Veterans Cemetery, Kauai Veterans Cemetery, Lanai Veterans Cemetery, Mazie Hirono, Molokai Veterans Cemetery