Commentary from Debbie Hecht:
Aloha 2% supporters:
BILL 263- 2% Land Fund charter amendment will be heard on Wednesday, June 23rd in Hilo at the council chambers at 10:45. A big Mahalo to Council member Pete Hoffman for introducing this Bill. Video conferencing will be available from Waimea and Kona. To put a charter amendment on the ballot, 3 readings are required and we need 6 votes at each reading.
PLEASE EMAIL THE COUNCIL IF YOU CANNOT ATTEND.
Remember it’s an election year and your voice can be heard LOUDLY! Please email the entire list or call your council member- the email list and a link to their phone numbers are below.
- This is a simple matter. Put the 2% LAND FUND on the ballot along with the 1% Land Fund charter amendment being introduced by the Charter commission and LET THE PEOPLE DECIDE.
- The 2% Land Fund was approved by 63% of voters in 2006.
- The Land Fund is successful! The following parcels have been purchased with 2% land fund monies: Waipio Lookout, Kawa Bay- Ka’u (2 parcels, one is under negotiation), Kaiholena (150 acres) and Pao’o In North Kohala.
- 1% of property taxes is approximately $2 million per year, 2% is $4 miliion per year. Land is expensive on Hawaii Island; we need 2% or $4 million to attract dollar for dollar matching funds.
- This will not take effect until July 1, 2011, so the council’s suspension of the funds will be honored, and not affect the budget.
AN OVERVIEW OF BILL 263:
- 2% of property taxes shall be placed in the fund at least twice per year in an interest bearing account.
Describes the purpose for the acquisition of land.
- Fund shall be used for acquisition only.
- Highest and best use of the fund is to attract matching funds.
- A covenant shall be recorded and run with the land that will say: “These lands were purchased with moneys from the Public access and Open Space and Natural Resources Preservation Fund. It shall e held in perpetuity for the use and enjoyment of the people of Hawai’i County. This land may not be sold, mortgaged, traded or transferred in any way.”
To read the bill, click here: http://records.co.hawaii.hi.us/weblink/0/doc/739778/Page1.aspx
CUT AND PASTE THIS EMAIL LIST: <firstname.lastname@example.org>, <email@example.com>, <firstname.lastname@example.org>, <email@example.com>, <firstname.lastname@example.org>, <email@example.com>, <firstname.lastname@example.org>, <email@example.com>, <firstname.lastname@example.org>, <email@example.com>
FOR YOUR COUNCIL MEMBERS PHONE NUMBER CLICK HERE:
Department of Land and Natural resources will be holding information meetings on proposed CONSERVATION DISTRICT rule amendments:
Kona July 6, 2010 at the Mayor’s Conference Room 75-5706 Kuakini Hwy. Room 103- 6:00 pm
Hilo- July 7, 2010 at the Hilo State Office building 75 Aupuni St. Room C - 6:00 pm
ARE YOU REGISTERED TO VOTE?
- Did you get the yellow postcard verifying that you are registered to vote?
- If not, print out the attached, fill out the form and mail it in TODAY!
Mahalo for your help and support!
Filed under: Big Island, Community, Guest Commentator, Hawaii, Politics, Rumors, State Affairs Tagged: | 2% for the Land Fund charter amendment to be heard on June 23rd, Debbie Hecht, VOTER REGISTRATION & conservation districts rule amendments