A Field Trip to the Big Island Chronicle: Ivantatum… Your Days are Numbered

Well all day long I’ve been very interested in some punk ass anonymous dude named  AKA: IVANTATUM over on Big Island Chronicle to slip and see who the fuck this dude is that is spewing a lot of shit that is pissing a lot of people off on this Island.

He obviously has some insight on things.  I think he may be the one that called me at 1:10 am and again a few minutes later…. thank god I was asleep when I got that call… I may not have gotten any sleep had I spoken with him.

So in the course of full disclosure… I’ve been hanging out all day with my Son and Tiffany’s blog and just popping in and out as my son built his train set, went for a bike ride, went up to the farm, and then worked on his computer.

I’ll just copy and paste some of the interesting comments that have been made.

It will be interesting when my son grows older and he reads these.  Hopefully he will be mature enough to realize that even grown ups can be babies at times.

Tiff… Don’t be pissed about me cutting and pasting this to my blog as I know you are not familiar with social media…

This Blog posting is a COMPLETE COMPLIMENT to Tiffany Edwards Hunt for creating what she has created over at the Big Island Chronicle.

• Aaron Stene Says:
    July 11th, 2009 at 10:49 pm

I would bet this same individual using the pseudonym Ivantatum, is also using pseudonyms hatescorruption,betterplace on WHT/HTH article comment boards. I’ve compared the comments made under these three anonymous names and they seem to be made by the same person.

July 11th, 2009 at 11:32 pm

And I think if I were in the same room as someone that feels the need to be so anonymous I might excuse myself to puke… come back… and then ask them politely ask who they were.

If not… I doubt I would convene talking to them.

• Tiffany Edwards Hunt Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 6:23 am

Ivantatum: Calling me at 1 a.m., not once but three times, is totally inappropriate and actually infuriating. Be very glad I didn’t answer the phone. You would have experienced my wrath Try to practice empathy. Be courteous and respectful. Never again call me at such a late hour/so early. Try calling your friend Reed of WHT at that hour. He would tell you where to go. You don’t have his cell phone number, or maybe you would. Don’t take advantage, thinking just because you have my cell phone number you can call me at all hours of the day and night. It’s 6:30 a.m., Sunday now, I’ve been trying to care for a sick baby and husband since 5:30 a.m., my office is open. What do you need? What do you want?

• ivantatum Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 6:35 am

may I call you.

• renegade002 Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 7:59 am

Let’s all remember Kenoi’s words during his campaign – ‘
    ” I am going yo follow exactly what Harry Kim did” – does anyone remember that? That is the one campaign promise Billy has kept! Kim was invloved in all of this mess that is only coming to light because West Hawaii Today has the balls to report it! The Tribune Herald has been in the pockets of the politicians for years and kept all of the dirt from being reported – I know, I told Jason Armstrong so much and so many times he told me ” The editor says it is nn\ot news worthy – the illegal things being done on daily basis by county officials was not newsworthy – the only reason they are printing sotries now is their subscriptions are declining as West Hawaii Today is sky rocketing! Good job Reed – you are the people’s advocate and we thank you and all your reporters for gving us the truth of all of the cheating in county government – let the truth be told – the racial preferential treatment is a REALITY and West Hawaii Today is proving it – Buddy Azevedo, I’ve know you for years, I know how the County cheated you,blamed you for a flood, deined you equal rights, and the list goes on – I know and understand your pain – I am a victim too but not the degree that county officals have hurt you, emotionally, financially, physically – no one knows the pain until you go through it so to you Curtis Narimatsu – don’t ever lie about the way Buddy feels about Jiro Sumada – don’t you dare lie – their is racism in government, their is proof that it has gone on for years and if not for West Hawaii Today giving people the voice to bring out the truth once and for all it would continue on but the day has come that for those who gave and received preferential treatment God does not sleep and your day of reckoning is near – God Bless West Hawai Today and God Bless Reed and all the reporters – there will be no stopping now and the Feds will be knocking at the County’s doors – that is a promise. Money is the root of all eviland for all those who profited by cheating, giving and receiving prefreential treatment at the demise of others will fall and fall hard – it may take time but time we have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• rj Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 8:04 am

This is kind of creepy.

July 12th, 2009 at 8:17 am

1:30 in the morning… as RJ says… pfft.

Please TIFF… DO NOT GIVE HIM MY NUMBER! My mistake. I can check my emails at 1:30 AM… but I sure the heck am not letting that phone ring at 1:30 AM.

I thought I was the only one up on this island at that time!

• Curtis Narimatsu Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 9:11 am

Hi Renegade002: As Mother Angelica of EWTN once muttered after putting up with a 10 minute blast of atomic radiation from an anti-Catholic zealot, “You need to go to confession, son.” :-) If Buddy Azevedo is the person you say Buddy is, I’m here for the taking. Welcome. But I don’t have Vicks cough drops for Buddy to suckle on. Buddy doesn’t believe in M.D.’s, you know. Vicks cough drops are Buddy’s panacea, placebo or not. And aloha to you too, Renegade002!! Love, –Curt

• Mike Middlesworth Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 9:44 am

Let’s broaden this discussion a little and talk about journalism and anonymity.

If we’re going to contend that our blogs are journalism we should adhere to the commonly accepted standards of the trade, one of which is that while we may publish stories based on anonymous sources, we know who they are, even if we don’t tell the reader.

The practice, for many years, has been to require verifiable personal information from those who write letters to the editor. I’m astonished now that newspapers allow anonymous comments about online stories, in view of that.

From a blogging standpoint, we each have to set our own standards.

What concerns me in this instance, Tiff, is that you don’t know who Ivantatum is, and he is skating very close to libel. Not slander. Slander is spoken defamation. Libel is published, and the blog is publication.

Fortunately, most of the people he attacks are public figures, but some might not be labeled such in a lawsuit.

That aside, I fear for the future of community blogs if those with an axe to grind are permitted to cloak themselves in anonymity. Attacking politicians and public servants can be great fun, but those who do so anonymously are quickly going to lose credibility and that will drive people away.

We need to know who’s saying things, if only so we have context for what they say. We know who James Weatherford and Brian Jordan are, and that let’s us make judgements about their posts (and I just use them as examples, not to pick on them).

We’ll each have to decide which way we want to go.

aloha,
    mike

• Tiffany Edwards Hunt Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 10:24 am

Ivantatum,
    Either we meet at an agreed-upon public place or we talk via Skype… I don’t want to hear any more allegations of a corrupt county government or how wonderful West Hawaii Today editor Reed Flickinger is for exposing it, until you and I meet eye-to-eye.

Mike,
    At this point, I’m not sure which way to go. I wanted to allow the free exchange of discourse, being a civil libertarian, if you will… but libelous and slanderous statements from someone who insists on anonymity, who won’t agree to a “witness-protection-style” interview, may force me to moderate and filter comments. This is not the way I want to go at all: it makes me question this whole blog venture… Also, I absolutely don’t need people calling me to diatribe against the County of Hawaii or what-have-you in the middle of the night…
    this is a philanthropic mission, for the love of journalism, writing, and community… I’ve got a sick, sleeping baby in the left arm as I finger peck with the right hand… I have very little time for nonsense.
    Incidentally, it seems our masked man has changed his name to Renegade 002, the IP address is different but the writing style is the same. I don’t know how else to control the libelous comments other than to step in and be moderator, and that just really makes me want to wring Ivantatum’s, or Renegade 002’s, neck, it really does — because he and the few others who don’t act online the way they would offline are blowing it for everyone, really. The truth is, I’m not at my computer all day to be able to act as the moderator… It changes my scope of work; it will mean less blog time for me to spend on posts and more time managing the comments.
    Yep, blowing it, big-time, libelous Ivantatum/Renegade 002.
    Again, you become all the more intriguing to someone like me who is in the business of fact-finding… and who has every interest in protecting the integrity of my work…
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know, if you have someone’s cell phone number, is there some kind of cell phone directory out there that I don’t know about?

• Mike Middlesworth Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 10:40 am

Tiff–

I feel your pain, being a civil libertarian myself, and have no easy answer. I’m sorry you’re having to cope with this along with a sick baby. Set some of this stuff aside and take care of your family. We’ll all wait.

aloha,
    mike

• ivantatum Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 11:19 am

But I would really like to talk to you on the phone first, the way I did with the FBI and Colleen so I can e-mail you time lines and scenario so you are more prepared to interview me and ask me prepared questions.

• ivantatum Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 11:25 am

And my writing style is different from renegade002. It really is.

• Rob Tucker, Punaweb Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 11:49 am

Aloha Tiffany and thank you for your efforts.

I have operated Punaweb.org for about six years now and it has become increasingly difficult to operate the site with the time constraints I have and I hear the same issue from you.

It has been a trail and error effort to find a method of operating Punaweb which allows both maximum access to the individual(s) and protects the mission of the site and the interests of the site community.

I will spare you all my theories and war stories on aspects of this.

Increasingly we are all facing the same issues and dilemmas. Perhaps by working together we can find solutions to these issues that can be applied as evenly as possible.

Just a thought. I know I could use some practical advice and support at times. I wish there was a place to go and ask “how should I deal with this?”.

• Anika Glass Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 12:13 pm

My thought is to go by the guidelines a reputable paper (are there any left?) would establish in journalistic reporting. Single source comments by someone unknown even to the journalist are not to be published. Bob Woodward, Carl Bernstein, and editor Ben Bradlee corroborated Deep Throat’s information before publishing.

I would consider using this guideline even when it comes to moderating anonymous comments that are about an individual’s supposed actions, words, and alliances. Likewise for those who are similarly speculating about people, which is another guise for character assignation.

I wouldn’t waste time trying to track down anonymous accusers, especially dealing with phone calls and offers to meet with or talk with the anonymous accusers. It’s feeding an evil ego.

Let them start their own blog, like “akamai” did in the hit piece on Billy Kenoi before the mayoral election.

I’d be far less censorious about pure opinions.

To me, the credibility of your blog is compromised by this large amount of negative activity you are having, and especially when you repeat it in your own post.

I hold your blog in high regard. I can see where you separate commentary from reporting. I think your blog may be the most useful one out there, for staying informed on hot topics.

• Anika Glass Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 12:15 pm

“assignation” – that’s pretty funny! So much for spell checkers!

July 12th, 2009 at 12:18 pm

“It may be time for some version of the Big Island Press Club to form for the purpose of guiding and establishing standards of operation for Big Island web site operators.”

Jesus Effing Christ…

THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE MOST LUDICROUS PHUCKING IDEA I HAVE EVER HEARD OF!

July 12th, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Since I currently assist with the maintenance of BIPC’s new site..

I would quit doing that if they ever tried to pull a stunt like that.

• Mike Middlesworth Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Damon–

Those last two posts tell us a lot more about you than you’re likely to want us to know.

The world is full of organizations with voluntary ethical standards. I’m sorry to hear that you want nothing to do with them.

aloha,
    mike

July 12th, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Mike…

I don’t want anyone telling me what I put on my blog.

Do you?

The second someone steps in and tells me what I can and can’t do with it…

I’ll move to a country w/ a constitution that would back my rights as a blogger.

Do we start telling people who scrapbook what pictures they can collect?

Should we ban people from writing diaries?

Pfft Standards on a blog… sorry… that is all in a matter of someones personal preference.

Damon Tucker
    FBI Blog, Admin

• Aaron Stene Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I second Damon’s outrage over Rob’s suggestion.The last time I checked we live in a free country. I don’t want a big brother breathing down my neck telling me how to run my blog.

• Rob Tucker, Punaweb Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I was describing a voluntary “club” to make decisions or recommendations about and for it’s own member’s benefit. Nowhere was an internet policing action expressed or implied.

This what I mean about “assume the worse and attack”.

• rj Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Damon, I totally agree. As someone told me that “bloggers are town criers, on their soapboxes.”

Insult me and then create ethical guidelines? Pfft.

July 12th, 2009 at 1:04 pm

A quick response by one member of the BIPC:

“Thanks Rob, I’ll pass on that one.”

July 12th, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Make that… One Board Member of the BIPC that is.

• Mike Middlesworth Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Here’s a link to the Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics.

I find it hard to believe that bloggers could not agree to observe it.

aloha,
    mike

July 12th, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Bloggers are not Journalist although they often are called that.

July 12th, 2009 at 1:41 pm

I’m sorry Tiff… I meant some bloggers are not journalist.

I certainly am not one.

July 12th, 2009 at 1:44 pm

“The present version of
    the code was adopted by the 1996 SPJ National Convention, after months
    of study and debate among the Society’s members.”

Did we even have blogs 13 years ago?

Time for the SPJ to re-look at the code and get with the times.

• Tiffany Edwards Hunt Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Damon,
    As I am, you are a member of Big Island Press Club, which has a board of directors, which we are not. It is a 42-year-old organization that has professional standards, which I believe apply online as well as offline.
    Mike, Rob, I see your points. But as a civil libertarian, I can also see the points of Damon, RJ, and Aaron, who, in so many and sometimes crude words, are advocating for free speech.
    The real challenge is to maintain a blog that allows the free flow of information without causing harm to others. Perhaps we need to resume this discussion in a subsequent blog entry.

July 12th, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Tiffany,

I am not a member of the BIPC.

July 12th, 2009 at 1:49 pm

If becoming a member means I would have to change my blog in any way…

I would decline membership… even if it was given to me w/out any dues.

July 12th, 2009 at 1:53 pm

While we are on this subject of this whole shebang…

CAN anyone in the BIPC show me the names of the members?

Why is the list of names held by only one person?

What’s the secret list all about and who belongs to this club of people that are being upheld to some clause online and offline.

This might explain some of the shenanigans of our local papers.

• Tiffany Edwards Hunt Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Sorry, thought you were a member, for the fact that you have been tasked with working on the blog… Personally, I don’t think you should be working on the BIPC blog, but I’m not a board director to be deciding that… (you should most definitely tell the BIPC member you are working with on the blog to be sure to display the BIPC logo… Pele on a typewriter… That logo is as old as the club and should be preserved.)
    And Ha! It’s funny that you ask about who and how many BIPC members, because whether or not that’s your business is the subject of a debate within the club. I am of the belief that we should not advocate for openness and transparency if we aren’t willing to abide by those principles ourselves. But others note we are a club, not government, and they are concerned about the release of information about themselves, for fear of cyber stalking…

July 12th, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Well if they can find someone else willing to do it for free… I’d be more then willing to take one more unpaid volunteer project off my shoulders.

I’m only doing it to help.

July 12th, 2009 at 2:30 pm

The Logo is on the Gleanings… that in themselves show interesting on goings:

I had previously made that suggestion to Mr. Joseph.

And if you recall on your own blog you stated:

“Big Island Press Club, of which I’ve been a member since 2001, has changed and modernized its website, thanks to fellow member Wayne “Big Dog” Joseph and Puna blogger Damon Tucker…

…Good for BIPC member Wayne Joseph for taking the lead and teaming up with Damon Tucker to change and modernize the website. My how far we’ve come, from that discussion here in February about Big Island Press Club bylaws and the general need for the organization to change and modernize. “Need someone to update that archaic website? Does the BIPC work trades for membership?” Damon Tucker wrote. Mahalo, Damon, for taking an interest in modernizing BIPC and being a part of the change…

…In my opinion, the BIPC board of directors should offer Damon Tucker free membership for one year and, come our annual meeting, Damon Tucker and Wayne Joseph should receive the BIPC Project of the Year Award.”

• Tiffany Edwards Hunt Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Well, thanks for your help. FYI, you just shared with the public copies of the newsletter intended for members only. What good is a $25 or $30 membership if the BIPC newsletters are going to be displayed by Damon Tucker on this blog… This is what happens when non-members get involved in matters best suited for members. You might be trying to help, but you really don’t have a sense for the professional standards of BIPC it seems. Perhaps you purposely posted all those Gleanings knowing it would get Gleanings editor Rod Thompson’s goat. That is being an antagonist, and it is simply not appropriate. I’m sure that Wayne Joseph is reading this and cringing. When you work for people, Damon, albeit for free, you should be really careful about what information of theirs that you divulge. That’s having professional standards. I was questioning how a blog entry about Ivantatum became a discussion about Damon Tucker. But then I recalled Rob Tucker’s guest column, “The Damon Dilemma.” People are emailing me, confused, thinking Damon Tucker and Ivantatum are one and the same. In fact they are not the same people. Damon, why do you think people could be thinking you’re Ivantatum?

July 12th, 2009 at 3:15 pm

The Gleanings have been made public for quite some time:

In a unanimous decision the Big Island Press Club’s, “Board of Directors, have opened the monthly issue of the “Gleanings” for public viewing.
    The Gleanings had previously been password protected to insure that only BIPC members would have access to its contents.
    You can find all of the 2009 issues of the Gleanings by scrolling down the right sidebar. Editor/Writer Rod Thompson continues to provide the club with its contents.”

I guess your not reading the Blog :(

July 12th, 2009 at 3:16 pm

I dunno… but I sure wish I had some of the insider information that he appears to have.

• Greg Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 3:18 pm

hypothetical example: “This website adheres to the standards of quality set forth by “BIPC” or “whomever””.

Just like the Enquirer and such are fully free to publish whatever they want, another publication may adhere to a more stringent code of research, accuracy and again, credibility.

There are plenty of readers for each type of publication. Some bloggers aren’t concerned so much with quality as quantity (As is their right).

July 12th, 2009 at 3:22 pm

By the way… I’m telling you this in advance…

I love the graphic that you used for this post… and I may in the future use it! ;)

July 12th, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Low and effing behold… I just checked my phone as well.

I have two messages from “Unkwown”

One at 1:10 am

and another at 1:15 am…

I hit the sack about 1:00 last night and left my phone down by the computer.

I have a strong feeling I know exactly who did call me.

Let me add some apps to my phone so the next time I get calls from unknown numbers I can trace them.

Tiff… does the iphone have that available? I only have a google phone.

July 12th, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Greg:

“I hardly see Rob’s suggestion as being against free speech. To me it’s more about a website adopting standards of credibility and integrity; and promoting this feature.”

That is set up already by WordPress

WordPress will freeze up your account if you are doing something that is not in accordance to the agreement of wordpress or any other blogging service when you first sign up for a blog.

Don’t adhere to the standards… they simply freeze your account.

Trust me on this when I tried to use an Ad Revenue company to bring in revenue through writing up a post.

It took 6 hours of wraggling with wordpress administrators to finally give me back my blog.

You can do what you want w/ your blog… but there are standards set in place by the blogging service that one blogs under them.

If you want to blog under their service you must adhere to their rules.

Sounds fair to me.

• Greg Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Damon,
    As you stated previously; Are you going to quite wordpress because they set standards for you, and limit what you can publish?

Just as you are free to adhere to your standards, other people are free to adhere to higher ones.

July 12th, 2009 at 3:47 pm

My blog meets WordPress’s standards I guess:

See #5

Other people can adhere to whatever standards they want…

But trying to call someone uncontrollable because they own a blog is freaking ridiculous.

• Tiffany Edwards Hunt Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 3:48 pm

My has the industry changed.

It is my quest for Big Island Chronicle not to be the cheap whore at the corner of Sunset Boulevard and the information highway.

Greg, I do like your points.

BIPC board of directors: what’s up with the bloggers? Where do we fit into the equation of BIPC and the noble cause of information dissemination? Should bloggers be given the professional status, when there are those who decry having standards? What about the journalists among those bloggers who wish to maintain professional standards? Aren’t they in a different division? What is to be that membership fee? Can bloggers consider themselves journalists, while stationed out here in cyberspace where the trolls and mystery men lurk?

July 12th, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Please don’t ever call me a “Journalist”… I’d much rather be an “Enquirer”. :roll:

When someones blog gets more hits in 48 hour period then many newspapers… I dunno what you call it.

Anyone know how to find out how many hits in a day the Tribune Herald gets?

I bet your blog is pushing that number today.

• Anne Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Oh boy, sorry for all of this humbug, Tiffany, especially on a day when your whole family is sick.

In the original thread, I must say I find “Ivan’s” and also Curtis’ historical posts most intriguing and somewhat addicting, as a malahini trying to figure out the politics of our island. I hope your blog doesn’t have to change too much to solve these other problems.

I can understand people going off the deep end on occasion over some of the things that go on with “our leadership”. Hell, one council meeting is enough to drive one to drink or to the looney bin.

Just have to say, Ivan, you may be very truthful and sincere in your posts but you are a real butthead to be calling people at 1am. Get a grip.

And Tiffany, I pledge to send you a check this week for the great pubic service that you provide and for some of the crap you have to put up with to do it.

I choose to remain anonymous because quite frankly, some of these people in and out of government scare me. If some have a problem with that, oh well.

July 12th, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Yes Tiff,

Hope your family is feeling better.

My son was just down with a serious cold about 10 days ago.

The “Croup” is going around some kids on the Big Island right now.

Hope all is well soon.

July 12th, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Having met with a couple of millionaires who spend their days making money online yesterday

Bloggers in general need to figure out how they can make money off their blogs if they are going to spend as much time in dialog such as we have today.

In this same amount of time… One of my online friends has probably made over $4,000 today… By doing exactly what we are doing… Communicating through the internet.

Sad… but true.

• Mike Middlesworth Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Damon–

The Tribune Herald gets between 15,000 and 40,000 hits a day–that’s how many people look at the newspaper and their website.

You, and all the other bloggers out here, have a long way to go….

aloha,
    mike

• Hugh Clark Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Any one who calls me at 1 a.m. best be a close famly member or I will knocking for retribution the next day. You are dealing with a fool or a derelict. Cut him off. Permanently.

July 12th, 2009 at 6:46 pm

PFFT!!!!

I’ve had days where I’ve exceeded 50,000 hits

I consistently have over between 1000 and 1500 hits per day… and I’ve only been online for a year.

How many years and how many writers and employees does the paper have?

Divide that between 15,000 and 40,000 and then see how many hits each employee at the tribune gets?

If the Tribune has 50 employees all together and they are getting 15,000 – 40,000 PAID Employees…

That equates to 300 to 800 Hits per each PAID EMPLOYEE.

Can you hear us now advertisers?

July 12th, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Oh … forgot… I should have added the totals of all the other blogs I run on this island as well.

Just because a blog has someones name on it…

Doesn’t mean that they are running it.

Ala BIPC.

July 12th, 2009 at 6:55 pm

“…What good is a $25 or $30 membership if the BIPC newsletters are going to be displayed…”

I dunno tiff… I’m not part of that organization and I asked the same question to Peter Sur on your blog earlier.

If I could get a decent response and know that my blog wouldn’t have to adhere to some sort of conduct…

Then I would think about joining.

July 12th, 2009 at 7:02 pm

How many employees does the Hawaii Tribune and the West Hawaii and the Big Island Weekly employ?

I’d love to know those numbers too. ;)

Even though they are and will continue to shrink very rapidly in the next few years.

• Chuck Flaherty Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Tiffany, I just want to say how much I appreciate your blog. Your journalist standards are exceptional and your editorials are da bom.

With regard to your anonymous tipster, instead of calling you up in the wee hours of the morning, why doesn’t he supply documentation to support his positions and allegations? All he has to do is send you the written evidence and any questions about his integrity and the truthfulness of his statements become moot. As a former auditor, goodness knows I’d love to see that backup.

I’m reminded of that old Wendy’s commercial…Where’s the beef!

• Tiffany Edwards Hunt Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Damon,
    Most disturbing among your comments and begging a response is this: “Just because a blog has someones name on it dorsn’t mean they are running it.. Alan BIPC..” I would expect the board to address at the next meeting some of the comments made in this thread. Sadly, BIPC has arranged for a non-member to revamp our website and now that person is taking ownership of the newly created blog, it’s content and statistics. I can’t believe the current BIPC board is going to let our club be trampled over by a non-member like this. Damon, if you had any professional standards at all, you would show a lot more respect for your client, I.e. BIPC, than you are showing.

• Curtis Narimatsu Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Hi Anne: Thank you for your comment above at 4:58 p.m. this afternoon. I just said in another comment that I do not feel that Renegade002 is Ivantatum. Ivan and I made peace with each other [ironically, to use Mike Middleworth’s quip, disagree without being disagreeable]. I’ve figured that Ivan makes peace, then moves on to another project. Ivan is not one to backslide, unless Ivan has a split personality [God forbid! :-)]. Thank you again, Anne, for your comment. Much aloha, –Curt

July 12th, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I’m not a client…

I was asked to assist in a project.

I only helped design the site and update the site when Mr. Joseph needs assistance.

I haven’t touched the site in over a month.

If the BIPC Board asks for help with it… I help.

I think Mr. Joseph is perfectly able to do most of the stuff with the site now.

I only assist with some technical stuff.

And certainly have no beef with the BIPC as they stood up for me against the actions that DPW were trying to make against me.

July 12th, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Geez… and now you know why I won’t, can’t and will not try to write professionally.

I meant… BIPC is not a “client”.

July 12th, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Why would that disturb you?

People write blogs for other people throughout this world that don’t have skills to make blogs themselves?

By me helping others w/out the skills to do what I do… you find that disturbing… that’s weird.

Maybe I should start charging folks for setting up their own free blogs and assisting them running them.

NONE OF THE FBI BLOGGERS on my site are my blogs though… although I did help create ONE of them.

• Curtis Narimatsu Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Oops, my apology, typo — Mike Middlesworth is the correct spelling. Thanks Mike, for your wonderful sayings. Aloha, –Curt

• Peter S Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Aloha,

BIPC meetings are held once a month for about an hour, during which we tackle scholarship disbursements, openness in government and upcoming social events. I don’t have the energy to answer all the points above, but in general:

– Membership is by approval of the board of directors. There are different classifications of membership, but nearly everybody has to pay the $25 dues, which fund the scholarship endowments. It is a constant struggle to balance the club’s accounts with members who are delinquent in their dues payments, and those several years in arrears are generally dropped from the rolls.

– Regarding the posting of the membership, most of the members are not professional journalists and a lot of journalists are not members. Many are retired, in other fields and value privacy. How many private organizations do you know that publish the names of all members? It’s just not a priority at this time.

– Damon, I think I already answered your question about why people pay $25 annually for BIPC membership. It’s not a question of “what’s in it for me.” Rather, it’s about “what can you do to support open government and journalism scholarships for talented students.”

– Rob Tucker didn’t suggest that BIPC form standards for bloggers. That would be ridiculous. He said that bloggers should consider forming their own organization, akin to the press club, and develop their own standards.

July 12th, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Thank you for your quick response Peter.

Rob Tucker said this:

“…It may be time for some version of the Big Island Press Club to form for the purpose of guiding and establishing standards of operation for Big Island web site operators…”

Correct me if I’m wrong.

I run several Big Island Web Sites… I would not appreciate BIPC telling me how I can conduct my efforts to help those that can’t do what I can to help them have their say in the cyber world… even if it is against my own beliefs.

July 12th, 2009 at 9:25 pm

“…but nearly everybody has to pay the $25 dues,…”

Who get’s the free pass?

July 12th, 2009 at 9:28 pm

“That would be ridiculous. He said that bloggers should consider forming their own organization, akin to the press club, and develop their own standards.”

Done that Peter… wish you would think about blogging ;)

But I still don’t charge $100.00 bucks for a say in the matter… nor will I attempt to defame or criticize those that wish to write freely about what they enjoy writing about.

• ivantatum Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Curtis,
    We’re cool. It’s when I first meet someone it can be antognistic, everoyone setting their boundaries and territories. You will not hear a bad word from me anymore my friend.

• Tiffany Edwards Hunt Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Excuse me, I hardly think your blog directory is a professional organization akin to BIPC, Damon, please. You’re really getting on my nerves and this is getting way off the subject of the blog entry.

July 12th, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Once again… One of the more younger… paid journalist on this island replies to why I would contribute to the BIPC.

“… Rather, it’s about “what can you do to support open government and journalism scholarships for talented students.”

Peter… Check will be in the mail when I pay off some pending vacation expenses…

No I don’t want to be a member… I do want to support upcoming journalist.

July 12th, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Sorry tiff… I’ll go hang out on my own blog now.

This has been a very interesting day… I have appreciated the dialog and I have learned much…

Much of it will be transferred to my own thought and posts on my own blog in the pending days.

Too all that REALLY appreciate what tiff is doing… instead of just lurking here and posting anonymous comments… Why don’t you drop her a dollar or two at her paypal account that is on the side of the blog.

I think I may look into something like that… I sure do appreciate the dialog we have been having today.

While much of this could have been done on a closed dialog…

It is good for the general folks to see the inner workings of two bloggers pissed off at a general though of anonymous folks posting comments.

Night Tiff

• Curtis Narimatsu Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Hi Ivan: Thank you for your kindness and compassion. If you glance thru the sequence of interactions between you/me, I always praise your insider details, at one point even including Damon in praise of Damon for Damon’s wife’s & Damon’s father-in-law’s experience of racism at the hands of Damon’s wife’s maternal AJA grandpa from Pahoa. Love, –Curt