Andrew Cooper recently blogged about his doubts about Twitter, so I’ll give a “Lighter Response to a Darker View on Twitter”
To listen to some netizens of the local blogosphere, Twitter is the greatest thing to ever happen to electronic communications. After some exploration, I am not sure I agree with this assessment.
By deliberate decision I am not an early adopter. I have seen too many technological waves come and go in my life, some catch on, some don’t. A number of experiences have taught me that it is far less painful to give new tech a couple years to mature before I buy in. Anyone want a used BetaMax video machine? As long as the old solutions are working for me, I do not jump aboard without proper consideration. Seriously, I didn’t start to blog until 2007, way behind the curve.
This does not stop me from keeping tabs on new tech. I don’t just ignore these things, but often poke around to see what they are and how to use them. I have investigated Twitter, registered for an account in case I really do find it useful down the road. I enjoy seeing what new comes along, it is endlessly fascinating to consider what effects a new technology might have on our society.
Did I scare you Mr. Cooper by popping up on your account within minutes of you signing up? My only guess is that you were on my list of people I invited and you didn’t accept the earlier invitation, but then when you signed up later… it still popped me in as a follower.
I agree with the issues involved with the 140 word limit. Much too short to allow anything beyond very brief communication. In a blog posting I am limited only by the amount of typing I wish to undertake and postings of several thousand words can be found on Darker View. I can see the use of short advisory type messages… “the road is closed”, “meet at the usual restaurant”, and similar things. But to constrain regular communications this way? The result becomes a great deal of trivial messages which simply increase the signal to noise ratio of our lives. For some people this may be an ideal communications medium, I just do not see the use in the context of my communications needs. For now I have decided to take a wait and see stance on Twitter and am not actively pursuing this communication medium.
Cmn Drew uno u 1a tweet 4 X per 24/7. huked on fonics wurks 4 me
The options for electronic communications are myriad in our modern world. We have to specifically make decisions about whet we will, and will not, participate in. To simply accept and use everything that comes along risks allowing our lives to degenerate into an endless cacophony of noise… e-mail, cell phones, SMS messaging, IM, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, blogs, webcasts, podcasts, MP3 players, television, radio, newspapers, etc. Where do you limit the noise? Do you give yourself someplace quiet in the day? Simply spend some time reading a book or playing with the cat? Select which communications are most appropriate for you, decide which you do not need. Find your balance and your save your sanity by making intelligent decisions.
Andrew… It’s STOP THE INSANITY not Save your Sanity.
Seriously… Twitter is the ultimate in Nieleness (Nosiness) You can check out what’s going on with anyone on Twitter who’s registered… well whatever they publish.
Let’s take a look at Susan Powter’s Tweets. I just added her as a person I follow and I’ll send her a message about this post. Let’s see if I can’t get her to comment on my blog?
- It’s time to knit….
- @GutterOfMyHeart Never try to sort it out, it’s their silence I’m interested in…
- @doubleprozac Lengthen, take the energy and lengthen it….
- @tkells Wellness is love, self love, the actions of eat, breathe, move and think the most loving….yes
- @catawungus Thank you cause, as I said tonight sometimes…..it’s truly good to know people are waking up…
- @seniorchip “Turned you on” to…can’t even tell you how much I love it, are you Patsy?
- @peacenlove777 Absolutely loved it, always do….a day behind is fine, it’s yours to hear when it works, archived is thrilling…
- Late night mochi, soy cream cheese, jam, frozen raisins and banana…
- It’s interesting who follows and why….
- @lolpeggy I’m going to figure out how to solve a problem like Maria..
- “I’m a little hungry now Momma” time for food…
- @suzosusan So very toxic but, not here or anywhere I am…
- Hard to believe, the twitter I just got…