About a week ago, I blogged that a tea bag exploded in the Microwave as I was warming up the water. I sent the following letter off to Starbucks officials (Starbucks is the distributor for TAZO)
Aloha, I was brewing a cup of the Tazo in the microwave. I took the staple off and the label off and I microwaved it in a microwave safe cup for 1:00 minute. When I came back to get my cup of tea, I was in horror to find that my tea bag had exploded in the microwave. I have blogged about the incident on my blog here: http://damontucker.wordpress.com/2008/12/18/exploding-tea-bags/ And many people in Hawaii have been emailing me about this incident. Do you folks have any comment on the incident? I can only imagine had I opened the microwave as the tea bag was exploding and had some of the explosion go into my eye or something. Damon Tucker
Thank you for writing to Tazo. I am sorry to hear about your experience with our filterbag envelopes.
In order to ensure the freshness of our teas, there is a protective barrier in each envelope. Sometimes this can make the envelopes hard to open, even with the notch that is provided. But we are always working to enhance our products and we appreciate your comments.
As a sign of our appreciation, we would like to send you a coupon good for a replacement box of tea. If you let me know your box’s lot number (located on the bottom of the box below the bar code and starting with the letter “L”) and your address, I will get it off to you as soon as possible. It would also be helpful if you could tell me where you purchased the tea.
Thank you again for contacting Tazo. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Tazo Customer Relations